Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi from phone drops when moving between rooms

eshane09
Follower

Wifi from phone drops when moving between rooms

I have an RBR750 with two satellites. The router is set up in a bedroom on the top floor, and the two wired satellites are on the farthest corners of the house to try and maximize my network area. When I am connected to one satellite its very possible that the router and other satellite are not in range at all. This setup has been working really well for around 1.5 years in this house. All of my devices that stay in the same place (security camera, tv, laptop) have zero issues and the connection stays solid. The only issue I have is when I am moving between rooms, my phone (Samsung S22U) drops connection and to get it back on I have to turn wifi off on my phone, wait at least a minute and then turn it back on. When it drops connection my phone's wifi settings show 'Connection Failed' on my home network and nothing happens when I try to click on it to reconnect. At this point I do not know if it is an Orbi issue or an issue with the wifi on my phone but it has been happening for a couple months now and it is really annoying. I tried searching for a solution but could not find someone that had the same problem as me. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi from phone drops when moving between rooms

Some wifi phones or pads may not handle switching or roaming from one signal source to another seamlessly or well depending on how they are designed and supported by the Mfr. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 3
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wifi from phone drops when moving between rooms

Hello eshane09,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having internet connection issues with your Android mobile phone. 

To verify if the issue is with your phone or your Orbi network please do the following:

Connect to your Obri network with your laptop. 

Then move through your house in the same manner as you do with your phone when you experience dead zones. 

If you are still seeing dead zones you may need to change the arrangement of your RBR750 mesh system. Please ensure that your Orbi mesh system is on the current FW version 4.6.14.3. 

If your Orbi system is not on the current FW please update it. Navigate to the link below for instructions on how to update the firmware on your Orbi mesh system:

Orbi RBK752 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

For more information on manually updating your RBR750/RBS750 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7