Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi ssid rbr750

Joetile06
Aspirant

Wifi ssid rbr750

Good evening all, I've had my orbi pretty much problem free for a few years now. Except the initial start up and programming all the 2.4 accessories to it is been great. Until 3 days ago, we had a power interruption at our home from a storm. It was momentary but since then it's been problems. At first the orbi rebooted and we were reconnected, though we went for dinner and upon returning we no longer could connect, and our WiFi was down. The next day I switched temporarily to my old night hawk to verify the modem and cabling was good and we were up and running. I then began the process of doing a reset on the orbi, and got it back functioning under it's factory ssid and password. My problems begin once I try to change the network name and password. Every single time I do it, no matter what I change it to, it will not allow anything to join the network. According to the orbi app it's connected to the Internet and getting great speeds, but nothing can connect i.e. phones, tablets, computers ECT. I then have to reset it back to factory settings and get it back to it's original ssid name. I've reset my device Wi-Fi settings so it forces me to enter a password and it doesn't help. I've tried setting up the router through the Web interface instead of the app with no change in outcome. Any thoughts on this? I've followed the reboot procedures every time and always get back to the same result. Ssid "orbi46" allows devices to connect anything else won't. Thanks
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi ssid rbr750

What FW is loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

Try doing a factory reset and setup from scratch using this method:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

After being reset to the default WiFi credentials printed on the label:

• The device running the Orbi 'app' connects to the WiFi using those credentials and the app opens correctly?
  • How is the device accessing the web interface connected? (WiFi or 'wired')
  • After the WiFi credentials are changed and the router restarts WiFi, does the new WiFi SSID appear to devices as an available WiFi network?
  • What is the error that devices display when the connection is refused?
Message 3 of 11
Joetile06
Aspirant

The device running the Orbi 'app' connects to the WiFi using those credentials and the app opens correctly?
Yes it all works fine.
How is the device accessing the web interface connected? (WiFi or 'wired')
Wifi
After the WiFi credentials are changed and the router restarts WiFi, does the new WiFi SSID appear to devices as an available WiFi network?
Yes it does, and during one of my resets some of my wyze cams actually worked, though that was all that worked. My phone hasn't connected after any of the name changes.
What is the error that devices display when the connection is refused?
Network connection failed is the most common one.

Hope that helps.
Message 4 of 11
Joetile06
Aspirant

For furrye38, house is 1200ft give or take, roughly 40 ft between units and using 2 satellites. I have metal siding on the house and one of the satellites in on my screen porch to supply solid Internet connection to all the lights and cameras I have in my yard.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

That size of home, only the RBR and just one RBS is needed. And I'd turn down the power on the RBR to 50% as well. 

Turn OFF the other RBS.

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

(neglected to ask, sorry....)

Would it be correct to assume that the Orbi 'app' is running on the smart phone?

• When the Orbi is reset, the phone connects to the default WiFi and the Orbi app functions correctly?
  • After the WiFi credeentials are changed, that same phone will not connect to the new WiFi SSID?

That laptop connects to the default WiFi correctly and can be used to change the WiFi credentials, but after the credentials are changed the laptop will no longer connect?

I am guessing that the goal is to restore the previous WiFi credentials so that all the WiFi devices that were connecting prior to the power outage will no require reconfiguring, correct?

While all this is going on, the satellites are powered  off?

Message 7 of 11
Joetile06
Aspirant

That is correct. As soon as I make the change I can no longer log into the Wi-Fi. I have to do a reset on the router to get it back to factory settings. Though the router is connected to the Internet because the app will recognize the updated ssid and password in the Wi-Fi settings tab. So it seemingly makes the change just prevents anything from logging into the network.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

What is the SSID name your using for the main WLAN? 

Do devices connect ok if you enable Guest Network? 

Try doing a factory reset and setup from scratch using this method:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router ‌‌ and satellite(s)‌‌️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR ‌‌ and RBS ‌‌️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌‌‌

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Message 9 of 11
Joetile06
Aspirant

Good afternoon everyone, thank you for all the assistance. The problem has been solved. The solution was to purchase a tp link system that literally took 8 minutes to install and everything is reconnected. I was even able to change the ssid without 25 reboots and 8 wasted hours trying to fix stupid. Appreciate the time you all took to help. I just couldn't afford to spend 5 more minutes on fixing it. We are heading out on a trip this weekend and need the piece of mind that comes with the streaming cameras.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements