Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will an EX7500 extender work with an Orbi RBRE 960 mesh system?

jrob7019
Follower

Will an EX7500 extender work with an Orbi RBRE 960 mesh system?

Hello, I am hoping that someone can offer me some insight. I have an Orbi RBRE9600 mesh system. 1 router and 2 satellites. I want to and an additional unit in my garage. Being honest, I am looking for something a big more affordable that the 969 satellites.
I have been reading articles, etc and I’m just not clear if something else will work in the garage. I came across the EX7500 but I’m reading contrary thoughts on whether it will work. Has anyone added a non-Orbi extender to their 9600. If so, what did you use? How is the performance? Any help would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Will an EX7500 extender work with an Orbi RBRE 960 mesh system?

EX series has been known to work as sub extenders with Orbi systems. I did try a EX7500 and EX7700 with my 8 series a while ago. However I haven't tried with my 960 series and it's possible that since WPA3 is now in the mix, some older EX series may not connect properly if WPA3 is seen on the system. I know you can disable that on 7 and 8 series systems but the 960 series its in mixed mode all the time with WPA2 and can't be disabled. I have some NG routers when used in wireless bridge mode, R7000, R7800 and R9000, won't connect if WPA3 is present in the signal. 

Something you can try out and see and if it's doesn't work, return the unit. Believe EAX series may work better with the 960 series. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Will an EX7500 extender work with an Orbi RBRE 960 mesh system?

I connected a EAX80 to my RBK963. It connected and worked fine. It didn't fully integrate but it did connect and work

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7