Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox Series X slows my entire network down AX6000

Kelmay
Aspirant

Xbox Series X slows my entire network down AX6000

I just bought a series X and whenever it is on my entire house's devices slow to a crawl. I had a Xbox One X and did not have this issue. I have 1Gig internet, Orbi RBR850 (AX6000) and have the xbox wired in. It doesn't matter if I have it on wireless or not. This immediately started as soon as I added the series x to my network. Any suggestions would be helpful. I've tried restarting router, xbox, modem etc numerous times and nothing has helped. I haven't seen anyone else have this issue. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What are you doing with the xbox during this time frame? Gaming or streaming or do you see everything come to a halt or slow down right after you power ON the xbox? 

Do you have any wired devices that have a LED on the RJ45 jack that gives activity inidication LED? 

Message 2 of 21
Kelmay
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! 

Modem is: Arris Surfboard SB8200.

It's almost as soon as I turn the Xbox on within 10 minutes the internet just drags to a holt. Speedtests go to the single digits. As soon as I turn it off, I can be in the middle of the speedtest and see the internet just skyrock into the 600's. 

We see the kids Zoom calls slow to a crawl as well. There is nothing plugged into the router other than the Xbox right now. I have auto updates off as well as any sharing features off.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So Just turning on the xbox and letting it coem to ready causes this right? 

Wondering if there is a ARP storm happening.

Do you have any other wired devices that have a LED on the RJ45 jack that gives activity inidication LED? 

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So after turning ON the xbox, don't do anything for 10 minutes with the xbox, just let the xbox sit there, you notice everything slows down? 

Message 5 of 21
Kelmay
Aspirant

It quickly increases as soon as I start any game at all. Could you help clarify what you mean by "any other wired devices that have a LED on the RJ45 jack that gives activity inidication LED?"

Message 6 of 21
Kelmay
Aspirant

So right now I have it on and it's ok. Not playing any games. put on a game and it'll start to slow everything down. COD, NBA 2K etc. Tried all single player games, nothing multiplayer and still slowed it down. Had an xbox one x before and no issues. This is the only new device thrown into the network.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I'm hoping that maybe one of yoru wired devices with a RJ45 LAN port connection has activity LED as seen here:

https://www.wayconn.com/unshielded-rj45-led-connector/

What i'm looking for is the Yellow LED on this jack would have indication of activity on your network with the xbox and the RBR router. 

Normal LED and networking activity will show as some random LED being blinking occasionally to somewhat blinking often. If an ARP storm is happening with the xbox plugged in, the Yellow LED will be blinking all the time and fairly fast and continually. 

I was hoping that a PC or some wired device you may have would have this LED in back that we could use to see of this network activity is happening when the xbox comes online. If it is, then your xbox needs to be checked out by MS. 

I would also contact MS support anyways and let them know whats happening. If your old xbox didn't do this, and now the new one does, this would be a MS issue they need to review. 

Message 8 of 21
Kelmay
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So after turning ON the xbox, don't do anything for 10 minutes with the xbox, just let the xbox sit there, you notice everything slows down? 

So I just tried this and didn't have any noticable slowness.

Message 9 of 21
Kelmay
Aspirant

Makes perfect sense. I have an old router that has those lights. Would that work?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, I'm hoping that maybe one of yoru wired devices with a RJ45 LAN port connection has activity LED as seen here:

https://www.wayconn.com/unshielded-rj45-led-connector/

What i'm looking for is the Yellow LED on this jack would have indication of activity on your network with the xbox and the RBR router. 

Normal LED and networking activity will show as some random LED being blinking occasionally to somewhat blinking often. If an ARP storm is happening with the xbox plugged in, the Yellow LED will be blinking all the time and fairly fast and continually. 

I was hoping that a PC or some wired device you may have would have this LED in back that we could use to see of this network activity is happening when the xbox comes online. If it is, then your xbox needs to be checked out by MS. 

I would also contact MS support anyways and let them know whats happening. If your old xbox didn't do this, and now the new one does, this would be a MS issue they need to review. 

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. What is the Mfr and model of this router? 

You could configure it for AP mode, turn off the wifif radios, then ethernet connect it to the back of the RBR to the LAN port on the 2nd router. Plug in the xbox to the RBR first and watch the LED on the 2nd RBR in AP mode. You should see some random LED blinking. Once you turn on the xbox, check for more activity on the 2nd routers LED to see if the randsom blinking starts to become more constant all the time. 

You can try connecting the xbox to the 2nd router in AP mode to one of it's LAN ports and test again here. Check the LED activity before and after you turn on the xbox. 

Message 11 of 21
arlomike
Apprentice

I've also experienced this.. not sure what xbox is doing but it also appears that it's saturating the network. Possible that its might be hitting a pps or xlate limit in router mode? I'm planning to get some pcaps and see wth is going on.  Coincidentally,  the satellite its connected to slows down to 20 to 30mbs after some time... it could be the xbox thats triggering it.  Never had this many problems with a wifi system that costs 700.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this in regards to Xbox XS? If so, please contact MS support regarding it. 

@arlomike wrote:

I've also experienced this.. not sure what xbox is doing but it also appears that it's saturating the network. Possible that its might be hitting a pps or xlate limit in router mode? I'm planning to get some pcaps and see wth is going on.  Coincidentally,  the satellite its connected to slows down to 20 to 30mbs after some time... it could be the xbox thats triggering it.  Never had this many problems with a wifi system that costs 700.

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Kelmay wrote:

I just bought a series X and whenever it is on my entire house's devices slow to a crawl. I had a Xbox One X and did not have this issue. I have 1Gig internet, Orbi RBR850 (AX6000) and have the xbox wired in. It doesn't matter if I have it on wireless or not. This immediately started as soon as I added the series x to my network. Any suggestions would be helpful. I've tried restarting router, xbox, modem etc numerous times and nothing has helped. I haven't seen anyone else have this issue. Thanks in advance. 

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a different router to try and see if this problem happens? 

@arlomike wrote:

Message 15 of 21
arlomike
Apprentice

I'm going to hardwire this into my satellite instead of wifi..  This happened when I got the Xbox Series X.  My previous Xbox One X was always wireless and sat in the same spot as the Series X and didn't have these issues.   Will see if this solves the problem.  Plan B would be to hook up my old Asus router and use Orbi in AP mode.  It's kinda silly to do this considering I got Orbi to be all in one.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if this happens on the ASUS router with the XS wired or wireless to the router.

This maybe a MS issue vs Orbi...

Message 17 of 21
arlomike
Apprentice

Hardwiring the Xbox Series X made issues go away.  With the Xbox on Wifi, there were massive drops and latency that it would kick me off Xbox Live.  Reading in the MSFT forums, there is an issue with the new Xbox and wifi and many people are affected.  Whatever it was doing, it was hammering resources or something making the network slow down especially if you have the Xbox set for instant on (I believe this leaves networking turned on).  

I haven't experienced the RBS slowdown to 20-30mbs after turning off Xbox (2-3 days ago).  I did a clean reboot after turning off the Xbox to if it will degrade but so far so good.  I'm planning to go online today and see if the wired connection from Xbox will degrade the RBS over time.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. You happen to have a link to the MS forums regarding there info? 

Keep us posted. 

@arlomike wrote:

Hardwiring the Xbox Series X made issues go away.  With the Xbox on Wifi, there were massive drops and latency that it would kick me off Xbox Live.  Reading in the MSFT forums, there is an issue with the new Xbox and wifi and many people are affected.  Whatever it was doing, it was hammering resources or something making the network slow down especially if you have the Xbox set for instant on (I believe this leaves networking turned on).  

I haven't experienced the RBS slowdown to 20-30mbs after turning off Xbox (2-3 days ago).  I did a clean reboot after turning off the Xbox to if it will degrade but so far so good.  I'm planning to go online today and see if the wired connection from Xbox will degrade the RBS over time.

Message 19 of 21
arlomike
Apprentice

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats