Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPhone 11 Pro Max connects, then connection speed fails

CrazyEddie
Apprentice

iPhone 11 Pro Max connects, then connection speed fails

I'm running an RBR850 and two RBS850s. Things have been great for a while. Yesterday I started experiencing problems with my iPhone 11 Pro Max staying connected to the primary network. It would be at 600+Mbps/40Mbps download/upload, then it would suddenly drop to maybe 1/40, or so low on the download side that I could not even run SpeedTest. The network was fine, as all of my other devices - including other iPhones and several Macs - worked fine. Eventually I figured out the Guest Network was an option (slower) to the iPhone 11, but (a) even the guest network only works for a brief period, (b) I don't understand what happened so suddenly (as I didn't do anything differently with the Orbi setup), and (c) why the guest is easier to stay connected - as they both have the same security setup.

I've already gone through all of the iPhone recommendations - including the sucky step of a complete factory reset. This morning I also went to the Apple store and they ran all of the hardware tests and confirmed all is OK. (And I was able to get WiFi, at least for the 30 minutes while I was at the store.)

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: iPhone 11 Pro Max connects, then connection speed fails

So is Guest Network enabled on the Orbi? 

Does all other devices work on the Orbi system? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How is the wifi settings configured on the RBR?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So is Guest Network enabled on the Orbi? Yes

Does all other devices work on the Orbi system? Yes

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V4.6.3.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? I have my own cable modem - NG CM1150V

How is the wifi settings configured on the RBR?  I'm not sure if these answers fully respond, but:  2.4G and 5G are enabled, and the channels are 11 and 48 (respectively); security is WPA2-PSK [AES]. Do you want to know the internet setup items as well? 

Please note - I have not done anything to manually change the network settings in months.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ~5k
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  The RBS is in the basement. RBS #1 is on the first/main floor, and RBS#2 is on the second floor.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 

"The RBS is in the basement." Do you mean RBR?

Basements are not great places for RBRs. 

Are you sure the iphone is connected to a RBS or at the RBR? 

IT's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too...

Message 4 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 

"The RBS is in the basement." Do you mean RBR?

Basements are not great places for RBRs. 

I'm sorry, but yes - the RBR is in the basement. RBR#1 is on main and RBR#2 is on the second floor, along w/ the modem. Originally the RBR was on the main floor, but I had an AV guy come out and he moved the modem and RBR to the basement to be as close to the cable incoming line and before being split. It is in a central location, and I expect that the closest RBR is less than 10 feet away, but separated by a good bit of building material.

Are you sure the iphone is connected to a RBS or at the RBR?  I have no idea because I rarely check to see to the connection. I do know that the problem seems to be consistent throughout the house, and that the phone has in the past switched between RBR and the two RBS depending on distance (often connecting to one that is on another floor since closer).

IT's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too...

I appreciate the help. I'm not sure of the relevance of most of the questions, as no other device in the house has a problem. I'm sitting at a MacBook Air and the iPhone is next to it. Yesterday the MB was connected without issue, but the iPhone was connected but without any *download* speed. The problem for the iPhone was consistent on all floors - unless I do a soft or hard reboot, and then the "fix" lasts for a short time. Other iPhones in other parts of the house, as well as other devices, have no issue.

Apple says it's a software or network issue, but it seems to be limited to one device - perhaps they are correct. I

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So try this, turn OFF ALL RBS. 

Turn OFF the wifi radio on the iphone. 

Go down to where the RBR is, then turn ON the wifi radio on the iphone. Try about 10 feet away from the RBR. 

Does the iphone connect and can you run a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app here? 

Reason basements are not recommended places for the wifi router is all the concrete and steel will cause problems an inhibit wifi signal travel. 

Message 6 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So try this, turn OFF ALL RBS. 

Turn OFF the wifi radio on the iphone. 

Go down to where the RBR is, then turn ON the wifi radio on the iphone. Try about 10 feet away from the RBR. 

Does the iphone connect and can you run a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app here? 

Reason basements are not recommended places for the wifi router is all the concrete and steel will cause problems an inhibit wifi signal travel. 

Done - and my iPhone speeds are as follows:  861/42 initially, 429/42 a few minutes later, and now 335/41. MB Air speeds in very close proximity (also in basement) have stayed a consistent ~590/41.

The first test was awesome, but I'm not confident that this has isolated the problem. Some of my sudden drops in speeds have occurred in roughly the same area - in the basement and perhaps another 10 feet away from where I just tested. I will at least continue to monitor the iPhone to see if the speeds drop off again, as they have done.

Second, if there is a router/satellite problem - why did it occur so suddenly (before yesterday I've never had a problem, and this setup has been in place for months), and why is no other device (including iPhones, iPad, MacBooks, TVs, etc.) having any problems?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'd really like this NOT to be solely related to this iPhone, as the fix for that is a PITA and not yet known.

Message 7 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

More information.

I turned the main floor RBS back on. I tried a speed test, but my phone stayed connected to the RBR. I went upstairs and turned on the other RBS on. My phone stayed connected to the RBR in the basement (456/40). I then got the phone to switch to the main floor RBS (even though I was upstairs) and the speeds were 384/38. After a few minutes I got the phone to connect to the top floor RBS (I was sitting within 10 feet) and the speeds are 517/41.

I will continue to monitor speeds, and going forward I will make sure to note which Orbi is connected. (One problem is that when the problem occurs, it's not that the signal is weak, I can't connect to get on the Orbi network at all to see what's going on with the app - no matter where I move. I can use a laptop if necessary to check the network.)

Perhaps no one else is having problems because they aren't paying as close attention? Maybe. But the connectivity is so bad when there is a problem, I can't even see pictures on Instagram.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Remember that some devices pick and choose where they connect to, even though you move closer to a RBS the phone may not automatically switch to the RBS just be cause your near the RBS. You have to turn OFF the wifi radio on the phone then back ON then the phone should connect to the RBS.

Has the phones iOS been updated recently?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? In Feet.

Message 9 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Thanks!
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Remember that some devices pick and choose where they connect to, even though you move closer to a RBS the phone may not automatically switch to the RBS just be cause your near the RBS. You have to turn OFF the wifi radio on the phone then back ON then the phone should connect to the RBS.  Understood. I can't say that I did so every time, but I've been turning wifi off and on before moving and testing. BTW, here's a table of the most recent speeds:

1. 3.55pm - RBS-up, 658/43 sitting on main
  2. 4:05pm - RBS-main, 370/39, in basement
  3. 4:50pm - RBS-up, 491/42, sitting on main

Has the phones iOS been updated recently?  Yes. The laptops were updated to Monterey within the last two weeks, and the iPhone 11 was updated the other day to 15.1.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? In Feet.  These are estimates:  RBR to RBS-main - 15 feet through one floor and one wall; RBS-main to RBS-upstairs - 20 feet.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? In Feet.  These are estimates:  RBR to RBS-main - 15 feet through one floor and one wall; RBS-main to RBS-upstairs - 20 feet." Distances are too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Message 11 of 13
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:Distances are too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 
Is 30 feet without anything in between? How far if you are counting sheetrock, 2x4's and whatever else is in those walls and floors? And since the RBR is in the center of the house, getting to much longer is going to mean that I'd need to have the main floor RBS at one outside wall, and the 2nd floor RBS at the opposite side of the house - is that right?

I understand that this point is a general comment - I could be doing better with more distance between the devices - but it still doesn't explain what was happening with (only) this phone. I do realize I may never know the reason.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible could be a iOS issue. If the phone has worked up until this point, and something changed on the phone...I would look into the iOS and Apple.

You can try changing the CTS values from 64 to 2307 and see if this helps the phone. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7