Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPhone 12 Pro loses WiFi connection with RBR850

Rogelio1
Apprentice

Re: iPhone 12 Pro loses WiFi connection with RBR850

Still struggling with the disconnects. I’ve been connected with level 2 support at netgear as a result of this thread and have sent them logs, screenshots, geographic maps of my house and router / sat layout. Awaiting level 3 support and the review over my logs and settings.

I had the router set to 50% power for the last month and it probably had the disconnect happens 1/4 times I walked back and forth between the router and satellite. I bumped it back to 100% a few days ago and the disconnect rate on my phone probably jumped to 3/4 times now. I’m also confident it’s not restricted to my iPhone — I tried it with my iPad Pro and it does the same thing. It appears to be some sort of ip release and provisioning bug in conjunction with the client device exacerbated by the radio power causing a lockout with an already known client profile between the handoff from router to satellite — this is evidenced by the fact that the client forgetting the saved network and re-adding it typically allows it to connect right after. Client information I believe isn’t limited to MAC address — I suspect there is some other logging happening for client roaming because this issue occurs whether or not “private ip address” is turned on or off on my iOS devices.
Message 76 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your system still on v.5 FW? If so, there is newer FW available if you want to give that a try. Unless NG support wants to you keep whats loaded. 

Either you system could be faulty or possbie Apple issue. I'm on new FW and iOS on my 12 pro MAX no issues seen on my 8 series. 

Keep in contact with NG support.

Message 77 of 85
Rogelio1
Apprentice

I’m on 4.6.9.11 (latest official).
Message 78 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 79 of 85
satelly
Aspirant

Have you tried running both satellites solely on wireless backhaul?

Alternately, if you have to use ethernet backhaul, have you tried the below suggestion by ekhalil. Basically disconnect and factory reset the satellite, then resync satellite with the ethernet cable connected (as opposed to syncing via wifi)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBS850-wired-backhaul-poor-connectiv...

Message 80 of 85
Rogelio1
Apprentice

@satelly 

It did / does it regardless of mixed ethernet (sat1) + wifi (sat2) backhauls; I disconnected Sat2 and it still did it.  Also does it with solely wifi backhauls (disconnected ethernet to Sat1 so Sat 1 was 5Ghz bonded to Sat2).

When you say "re-syncing" I assume you must mean disconnecting and turning back off the satellite, as there is no "factory-reset" option for satellites.  If so, then yes, I have tried all these iterations.  It seems that that the order of prevalence of the disconnects happens most in this order for my daisy-chain setup (router bonded to Sat1 and sat2 bonded to sat1):

1.  Using mixed (Sat1=Ethernet; Sat2=5Ghz) with 100% power -- Disconnects about 75% of the time walking between Router1 and Sat 1

2.  Using mixed with 50% power -- Disconnects about 33% of the time

3.  Disconnecting Sat2, so just ethernet bond between Router and Sat1 with 100% power -- Disconnects about 50% of the time

4.  Disconnecting Sat2 and ethernet -- so just 5Ghz wifi bonded between Router and Sat1 with 50% power -- Disconnects maybe 25% of the time

I do have a few other 5Ghz networks in the neighborhood -- my home is 1500Sqft. and the property is 6500 sqft.  However, I've never seen this behavior when I had the AC series (original Orbi) which also utilized 5Ghz and when that system had the exact same configuration.  Something at a firmware or hardware level I suspect is causing an interference or frequency issue where the satellites and router aren't able to allow the device to properly roam and then it locks out the client walking in the space between router+sat.  The fact that this happens on my iPhone 12 Pro and my 12.9" third gen iPad Pro, on every single iOS version (from 14 through current 16) even after factory-resetting both devices and wifi configurations tells me this is not a client-device issue but a Netgear/Orbi issue.  I've also factory reset my Orbi unit probably 4 times over the course of each firmware iteration.  With each factory reset, it seems to make the issue go away for a couple days, and then it creeps back up in full force.  Resets and reboots mitigate it a tad bit but it arises after some time.  Also tried every iteration of wifi power, CTS threshold, turning off logging, AX, trying almost every channel, disabling 40mhz wide for 20/40 mixed,  etc. that @FURRYe38 suggested -- these don't seem to alleviate the issue.

I've patiently had this unit for over 2 years hoping with each firmware version there would be a resolution, but this hasn't happened.  I really wish I had just kept my original orbi series and didn't sink $1000+ on this when it came out.  I'm not sure if this would be resolved with their newer 9x pro series or not, but I didn't buy this unit from Costco or somewhere where I could return it... but stupidly directly from Netgear.

We'll see how level3 support pans out and with all the logs and info I sent them.  I suspect they won't be able to re-create my scenario / setup and I don't think even the advanced logging will necessarily explain what's happening because client-side information may be needed to solve the other half of the disconnect equation to track the disconnect.  Some sort of advanced debugging is probably needed on the routers and satellites and I'm just not sure this can all be pulled from my home network.

Message 81 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi ax system seems a bit more powerful and complex than Orbi AC systems. 

For a 1500sq ft home, the RBR alone would be all that's needed. If a RBS is deployed, then maybe one at 30+ feet and the power on the RBR should be set to 25%. Having two RBS would be over kill and not recommended for the Orbi AX system. Having all this in a small sized home would be a factor in how the wireless devices are being handled and seems like roaming on these devices is problematic in this kind of environment. Others haven't reported this issue and I haven't seen it with my iPhone and pad however much larger house, layout and configuration so I presume roaming on my Apple devices seems to be working in a larger setting, at least it has been. I have two RBS deployed over ethernet and system set for 50% power every time I setup a Orbi system. 

Hoping that if you got debug logs for NG Support, someone should be able to see what happening with your system and devices. 

Message 82 of 85
Rogelio1
Apprentice

Despite being in a 1500sf home, my home layout is in a shotgun style, and the distance from router to sat1 is probably 45 feet with many walls, and sat2 is in a shed in the backyard which is probably 40 feet away with my home exterior and then the shed’s exterior between. This still aligns to the recommended usage distances provided by Netgear, so either their recommendations are wrong and they haven’t truly tested the quality at these lower end recommended distances, or their units aren’t handling other network signals properly between router and satellites. The fact that this is somewhat resolved for a day or two after factory reset also suggests there is some firmware component contributing to the issue.
Message 83 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep working with NG on this. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on. 

Message 84 of 85
satelly
Aspirant

By resetting, what I did was firstly unplug the satellite from the powerpoint, then logged into the router using the Web GUI. Next to the satellite, it should show disconnected and then I clicked "Remove". I then connected the satellite via ethernet cable and used a paperclip and pushed on the reset hole at the back of the satellite as I turned on the powerpoint. There is a light next to the reset button which flashes red and then yellow. The bottom of the satellite flashes white. I pressed the sync button on the satellite and went to the router and pressed the sync button there. All this is done with the satellite connected via ethernet.

Hope that explains what worked for me.

Message 85 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7