donawalt
Virtuoso

Re: ipV6 disconnecting on Orbi RBR850

Deleted

Message 76 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Mine is still working great. I made a couple posts that I have since deleted, I was mistakenly on another network. Sorry for any confusion that might’ve caused, everything is working great here!

Message 77 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

OK, it's been two weeks, and my IPv6 has been working perfectly all that time, no more disconnects! I am going to mark this thread as solved, with the update of firmware to 4.6.8.5 being the thing that fixed it. If others are still having trouble I suggest starting a new thread, as there may be multiple issues. Thanks everyone for your help!

Message 78 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

My IPv6 goes out every 5 days or so. We are giving up and have ordered some Ubiquity gear and use that for now. I will check back every now and then to see if it's being fixed. The Orbi will be up but we turn all WiFi off.
Message 79 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

@cdysthe @donawalt 

Just curious, either of you have email logging enabled on the RBR?

Message 80 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I do not have logging enabled, and actually I never have.
Message 81 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for confirming. 

Message 82 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

No, I do not have logging.
Message 83 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you noticed any mysterious reboots or if you happen to notice on the debug page with the System Uptime value here being reset or shorter than expected? 

Would be curious if enabling email logging if this would make a change on the IPv6 though not sure if it would. Might be work trying if you have the time to try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

Also do you have IGMP Proxying enabled or disabled? 

Also wondering if there could be an issue with the modem you use as well. 

@cdysthe wrote:
No, I do not have logging.

Message 84 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Well, I went 24 days with solid IPv6, this morning there was no IPv6 address - and as you can see from the posted image, it was not like the other times that I thought the latest firmware fixed, where an IPv6 address showed on the router page, but the IPv6 tests failed - as you can see, there is no IP address at all reported by the RBR850! All I did this time was just click "Apply", and it came back with an IP address. Is this related to a lease renewal, or on anomaly, or ...? I'll keep a log and keep watching it. It will be interesting now to see if something happens in another 24 days. Let me know if there are any ideas to check since this looks different than before.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 7.12.38 AM.png

Message 85 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Firmware is V4.6.8.5_2.1.9. It worked for 15 days.  Both the IPv6 test page and Orbi router page indicate no configuration: 

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 3.44.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 3.42.56 PM.png

Message 86 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the system Uptime show on the RBRs debug page? Just curious. Router IP address/debug.htm

Message 87 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

I found it, disregard private message....it says

System Uptime: 0 days 08:27:51

So about 8 hours ago it restarted.Interesting, not sure why it did that. No evidence of  power fail in the house and I did not do it.

Message 88 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have email logging enabled or no? 

Message 89 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Not enabled
Message 90 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Would you enabled it and then monitor the uptime? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

This should stop the mysterious reboots. 

Message 91 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I am back! I took a break from Netgear and used an Asus router for a while. But I am a Netgear guy so I went and bought an Orbi 852 system thinking this newer model would have the IPv6 issue resolved by now. I was wrong. It does still have the issue! Has there been development here? I now have some time to spend on this since so what do I do now to help getting this resolved once and for all? Have a look at this thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33241126-Netgear-IPv6-Problems-With-Comcast

The thread went on "forever" and went nowhere but someone said: "I believe they found a problem with IPv6 DHCP renewal". And that is exactly what I think the problem is! DHCPv6 is not working correctly on Netgear devices so the IPv6 address is dropped when the lease is out and the IP is renewed. Currently that seems to be every 4 days on Xfinity in my area, and every 4 days I lose my IPv6.

Now what? 🙂

Message 92 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Just to clarify. Nothing unusual going on like reboots. The only problem is the IPv6 IP being dropped every 4 days. If I hook my laptop up directly to the Netgear CM2000 modem I get an IPv6 address every time. Also, the Asus router does not have any IPv6 issues hooked up to the same modem.
Message 93 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 :

Would you enable it and then monitor the uptime? 

This should stop the mysterious reboots.

-------

How about this - reading that thread, I realized I had changed the log to include "Router operation (startup, get time etc)" - which I had always left unchecked, as it's mostly tons of DHCP messages. So, if the log is filling up, first now, I turned that setting off again. From past history, I will be lucky to have 2 log entries in the next month. So maybe log filling up causes mysterious reboots, which may be why I had one today from my log filling up?

I'll monitor uptime daily too...sound good?

Message 94 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you have email logging enabled or just deselected one of the logging items?

Message 95 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

We don't have any new info. Nothing from NG. 

Seems that between you and @donawalt your seeing quicker failure rate than he has. 

Is Email logging enabled on your system when you were using it as your main router? 

Ya seems that for unknown reason the renewal isn't happening or being handled badly. What that cause is, needs to be determined if it's being caused on the ISP side and the RBR isn't handling it right or if the problem is only with the RBR handling. Being that @donawalt has seen more up time with IPv6 on there system and your not, almost wanna say this is a contention between bad ISP services and bad handling on the RBR. 

You and @donawalt also have different modem models as well so this could also play a role. 

@cdysthe wrote:

@FURRYe38 I am back! I took a break from Netgear and used an Asus router for a while. But I am a Netgear guy so I went and bought an Orbi 852 system thinking this newer model would have the IPv6 issue resolved by now. I was wrong. It does still have the issue! Has there been development here? I now have some time to spend on this since so what do I do now to help getting this resolved once and for all? Have a look at this thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33241126-Netgear-IPv6-Problems-With-Comcast

The thread went on "forever" and went nowhere but someone said: "I believe they found a problem with IPv6 DHCP renewal". And that is exactly what I think the problem is! DHCPv6 is not working correctly on Netgear devices so the IPv6 address is dropped when the lease is out and the IP is renewed. Currently that seems to be every 4 days on Xfinity in my area, and every 4 days I lose my IPv6.

Now what? 🙂

Message 96 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We don't have any new info. Nothing from NG. 

Seems that between you and @donawalt your seeing quicker failure rate than he has. 

Is Email logging enabled on your system when you were using it as your main router? 

Ya seems that for unknown reason the renewal isn't happening or being handled badly. What that cause is, needs to be determined if it's being caused on the ISP side and the RBR isn't handling it right or if the problem is only with the RBR handling. Being that @donawalt has seen more up time with IPv6 on there system and your not, almost wanna say this is a contention between bad ISP services and bad handling on the RBR. 

@FURRYe38 I had normal logging enabled on my old RBR 752 but never saw anything unusual there. Everything runs smoothly except for renewal of IPv6. I have now given a Comcast tech all my account information and he will check this from their side, but last time I spoke to Comcast their conclusion was that my Netgear CM2000 "wasn't updated" whatever that means and gave me the number for Netgear. My modem has the exact firmware version that it should have on Xfinity. 

I do have another modem here, a Motorola MB8611 which is very similar to the CM2000 as far as specs go. Do you think I should try that? I am just afraid that if I put in the new modem I will not be able to re-enable the CM2000 if the problem isn't the modem. 

Btw, right now even when I get an IPv6 address I do not get IPv6 connections so it's worse now for some reason. Maybe because Comcast are messing with my connection? 

Message 97 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

So email logging is enabled or disabled on your RBR? 

What FW version is on the CM2000? 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using between the CM modem and the RBR? 

Ya unfortunately the ISP HAS to update modem FW. We users can NOT manually update FW on C an CM series modems. The ISP has to do this. Of course, some ISPs will not update user owned modems. Why ISPs tell users to contact the modem mfr when they know full well that the modems have to be updated by the ISP. It's the only way. 

Yes it would be a good comparison test to give a different brand modem a try and see if same thing happens. 

@cdysthe wrote:

I had normal logging enabled on my old RBR 752 but never saw anything unusual there. Everything runs smoothly except for renewal of IPv6. I have now given a Comcast tech all my account information and he will check this from their side, but last time I spoke to Comcast their conclusion was that my Netgear CM2000 "wasn't updated" whatever that means and gave me the number for Netgear. My modem has the exact firmware version that it should have on Xfinity. I do have another modem here, a Motorola MB8611 which is very similar to the CM2000 as far as specs go. Do you think I should try that? I am just afraid that if I put in the new modem I will not be able to re-enable the CM2000 if the problem isn't the modem. Btw, right now even when I get an IPv6 address I do not get IPv6 connections so it's worse now for some reason. Maybe because Comcast are messing with my connection? 

Message 98 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38. No, email logging not enabled. Would the email log have more information than the log you can see in the web interface? I have checked there every time this happens and there's nothing unusual going on there.

The firmware on the modem is the one Comcast pushes which is V1.01.08. I will try the new modem to see if that helps. Right now I am not getting IPv6 even with an IP. I really do not understand this. It worked until Feb 2022, then suddenly this started happening without me changing anything. Now I have replaced the router, but the problem is still the same: IPv6 is not being renewed when the lease is out. 

Message 99 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

@cdysthe wrote:

No, email logging not enabled. Would the email log have more information than the log you can see in the web interface? I have checked there every time this happens and there's nothing unusual going on there.

We are seeing these mysterious reboots of the RBR on 7 and 8 series Orbis on recent versions of FW. We've determined that enabling email logging helps stave off these reboots. I would enabled it on your to see if this helps any. You don't have to post anything and you can deselect logging items to help limit what you see getting sent to your email.

The firmware on the modem is the one Comcast pushes which is V1.01.08. Yes this is current for CC for the CM modem. So your good here. 

I will try the new modem to see if that helps. Right now I am not getting IPv6 even with an IP. I really do not understand this. It worked until Feb 2022, then suddenly this started happening without me changing anything. Now I have replaced the router, but the problem is still the same: IPv6 is not being renewed when the lease is out. If this is happening with a replaced router or different brand router, then this would be an ISP problem. 

Message 100 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 129 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7