Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

login nolonger works RBR750

mikeubell
Aspirant

login nolonger works RBR750

My system has been installed for about a month.  I have logged in and set a password on the web admin interface and set many advanced options.  Suddenly I can no longer log in.  My phone app is still connected and I reset the password there to be sure I had it right.  Given that it accepted the old password I know that it was right.  Logging in with the new password does not work.  Entering the serial number to reset the password gives me a prompt for security questions that I don't recall enabling or entering, but I gave what would have been the answers if I did.  I am told it is not correct.  Are there default answers to where you and your mother were born?

I don't recall if I backed up my settings, probably not, but is there a default file name I should search for on my computer?

Is there any way to backup from the app?

Any other things to try prior to a factory reset?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: login nolonger works RBR750

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 13
mikeubell
Aspirant

Thanks for responding but I was looking for anything else I could do prior to reset.  I have the info on my configuration, but I just want to try to avoid the hassle.  Also is this a common problem where login stops working?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

No common, however have seen it before. 

If you never setup security questions or have done a factory reset and didn't answer  the questions, you'll need to run thru this and get the information added so a recovery option can be used correctly. Thats why recovery is not working for you. 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@mikeubell wrote:

My system has been installed for about a month.  I have logged in and set a password on the web admin interface and set many advanced options.  Suddenly I can no longer log in.

Probably a silly question.....

Where does the login problem occur?

• The credential popup does not appear?
  • You fill in the user name "admin" and the password, but then..... what happens?
    • Error message?
    • "nothing happens"?
    • Pop up window just appears again?

Have you tried different web browsers?

Message 5 of 13
mikeubell
Aspirant

The popup appears, I enter admin and the password, it appears again, enter again... I think on the 3rd try it goes to the reset password page.  I enter my serial number, it accepts it and asks 2 challenge questions, which I don't seem to know the answers to.  I don't recall the system ever asking me to set them, but my memory could be mistaken.

I have tried from different browsers on several devices.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to FR and walk thru the setup wizard with a PC and web browser. The wizard will ask you to fill in security questions during it's run. 

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@mikeubell wrote:

The popup appears, I enter admin and the password, it appears again, enter again... I think on the 3rd try it goes to the reset password page.  I enter my serial number, it accepts it and asks 2 challenge questions, which I don't seem to know the answers to.  I don't recall the system ever asking me to set them, but my memory could be mistaken.

I have tried from different browsers on several devices.

Thanks for the details.  The router is definitely rejecting the administrative password.  After three times, the Password Recovery screen is supposed to come up.

The situation with Orbi passwords is a bit complicated because there are three different passwords:

• The WiFi credentials, which originally appeared on the product label with the WiFi SSID ("name") being the letters "ORBI" plus a two digit number and a password that is usually two common words ("mangymonkey" is my favorite)
  • The web browser administrative credentials where the user name is "admin" and cannot be changed and the user is badgered into changing the password from "password" (lower case) to something more "secure".
  • The Orbi 'app' credentials, where the user name is the Netgear account name (usually an email address) and the password associated with the Netgear account.  These credentials work only with the 'app'.

Could it be possible that you are trying to enter the app password rather than the web browser password?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The issue is that the security questions were not input thus the recovery method won't work since the system can't verify. The user needs to FR and then walk thru the setup wizard and input the security questions for future use, then if the PW can't be rememebered at some point, the recovery method can be used to get the PW reset. 

Message 9 of 13
mikeubell
Aspirant

So they are different passwords!  So it seems that I have just forgotten my web password.  For some reason I did not notice that my password manager did not capture it.  I'll have to ponder what I set it to some more.  I have a system for picking passwords and it is not what I would expect it to be.  Are there any unusual restrictions/requirements on what can be in the password?

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya need 10 characters minimum.

A captial character. A numberical or special character. Can't use two same characters in a row on some iv'e seen. 

Keep it intutive. 

Message 11 of 13
mikeubell
Aspirant

Thanks to your hints about the password requirements and that the app and admin passwords are different, I was able to reconstruct my password.  It is now in my PW manager.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7