Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi router can't find sattelites.

fu_k
Aspirant

orbi router can't find sattelites.

hi,

i'm using rbk853,

rbr850 as a router, and two rbs850's as satellites.

the firmware version is v7.2.6.31.

rbr850 works in ap mode,

rbs850's have wired connection.

satellite with direct wired to router works fine,

but when i move satellite to another room (wired connection via switch), router can't find the satellite.

how can i solve it?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi router can't find sattelites.

The key to this situation is the physical path between the router and satellite.  Please explain how they are connected:

• Is there an Ethernet pathway from one of the LAN ports in the router to this switch and then an Ethernet pathway from the switch to the satellite. ("pathway" being a single cable, or some  combination of patch cables and in-wall wiring)?
  • Is the switch also connected to the WAN port of the router?
  • Or, perhaps, is there one cable pathway from the switch to the WAN port of the router and the satellite is also connected to this switch?

This situation has been described several times recently on the forum, and appears to stem from a combination of factors:

• The customer has an existing router and wishes to run the Orbi system in Access Point (AP) mode so as to avoid a "Double NAT" situation which can interfere with several applications.
  • The customer also has in-house wiring which terminates at a patch panel and has placed a switch there so that devices around the house can be connected using Ethernet.
  • This location is not particularly suited as a location for the Orbi router, so the customer wants to locate the Orbi router somewhere else in the house.
  • With only a single Ethernet cable to that location, the Orbi WAN port is connected.  There is not another Ethernet cable to that location for the satellite connection.

The result is that "everything works fine" except the Orbi router does not seem able to locate the satellite or display a list of devices connected to the satellite.

The solution is either:

• Move the Orbi router to the patch panel location, or
  • Install a second Ethernet cable from the patch panel to the Orbi router location and connect it to one of the router LAN ports, or
  • "live with it".

Some explanation:

• The Orbi router is engineered to "know" that Orbi satellites can be connected to the router in one of two ways:
    • Over a WiFi "backhaul" link, or
    • Over an Ethernet connection to one of the router LAN ports.
    • Satellites cannot be found over the WAN link.
  • This is patently obvious when the router is in the default "router mode".  The router creates a separate IP LAN subnet for all devices connected to the router and Network Address Translation hides these IP addresses from the WAN side of the router.  (One of the consequences of that "Double NAT situation."
  • Things get a bit murky when the router is in AP mode.  It does not create a new IP subnet and all devices use DHCP to get their IP address from the primary router.
  • If the only pathway from the router to a satellite is through the WAN port, the router will not connect to it and cannot report any information about it.

But, wait.  How can the whole network be "working"???  This is because the Orbi router, Orbi satellites, that switch, and the primary router all have Ethernet switch modules which contain MAC address tables.  Every time any switch module receives an Ethernet packet from anywhere, the MAC address goes into the table tagged with which port on the switch it came from.  The actual device could be several buildings away, passing through  dozens of Ethernet switches.  Each switch remembers, "this MAC is out that port."  If they need to send an Ethernet packet to that MAC address, it goes out that port and the next Ethernet switch module deals with it.  On and on until it eventually arrives at the actual device.

Could Netgear have programmed the router differently?  I don't know.  It doesn't matter because they did what they did.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of the switch between the RBR and RBS? 

FYI, some managed switchs won't work. Some can if you disable IGMP protocols and any Green Ethernet features on these managed switches. 

Recommend using non managed switches, NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400 series non-managed switches work for Orbi systems. 

Recommend CAT6 UTP lan cabling as well. 

wrote:

hi,

i'm using rbk853,

rbr850 as a router, and two rbs850's as satellites.

the firmware version is v7.2.6.31.

rbr850 works in ap mode,

rbs850's have wired connection.

satellite with direct wired to router works fine,

but when i move satellite to another room (wired connection via switch), router can't find the satellite.

how can i solve it?

Message 3 of 6
fu_k
Aspirant

sorry,

the connection diagram is as attached.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So you need to connect the RBS directly to the back of the RBR as you have it in the OK diagram. 

Other method that works is connect a non managed LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS that will be OK here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡 ‌‌🛰

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

The router doesn't seem to know how to pass RBS traffic if you connect them to the host router directly. Thus why it's not working.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

GREAT drawing. Thanks!  This unfortunate characteristic of the Orbi design has caused several users to encounter this problem. 

In many cases, the physical wiring has proved a major obstacle. It is so easy to install Ethernet cables during construction when the walls are open, and often nearly impossible to install more cables afterwards.  Thus, the solutions appear to be:

• Move the Orbi router to the Yamaha location so that the satellites can be connected to Orbi LAN ports.
  • Install two more Ethernet cables from the Yamaha location (patch panel?) to the Orbi location so that connections to the satellites can bypass the Yamaha.
  • Install a pair of "smart switches" so that both the WAN connection and LAN connections can use the single Ethernet cable.
  • "Live with it."  All devices are functioning.  Many users never look at their WiFi system management.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7