Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi satellites connecting to each other vs router

mrcrowbar
Aspirant

orbi satellites connecting to each other vs router

I have the orbi wifi 6 router with 2 satellites.  My router is on main floor, 1 satellite upstairs, and other satellite in basement.  My basement satellite is connecting to my upstairs satellite instead of the main floor router, which is a problem since they are 2 floors apart and I am experiencing poor backhaul on the basement satellite.  Any recomendations?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mrcrowbar
Aspirant

Re: orbi satellites connecting to each other vs router

I switched them, moved the basement one upstairs and up one down to basement.  For whatever reason, this seems to have solved the issue, no clue why?  Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd also try  moving the satellites/router around. 

Many times hvac is ran within the floors/ceiling. And hvac is great at blocking wifi. 

Try shutting off the router and the satellites. Then move the satellites around. (laterally) 

then boot the router up and then the satellites back up. 

Message 3 of 7
mrcrowbar
Aspirant

9Kish+ sq/ft.  So I think each floor is 3K give or take.  No crazy building materials I know of, built in US in I believe '09, so somewhat new.

Hard to tell exactly how far apart they are but I have them each as close to the middle of the floor they are on as I can get, and stairwells are somewhat centered on house as well so I assume that would remove some of the signal loss.  If it is 30ft in a straight line, I am confident I am within bounds there.  So that's what it is so odd the basement sat would connect to the top floor sat, that's definately more than 30ft away, the main router is meaningfully closer.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Like Plemans mentioned, seems like placement and possible how you have them placed is causing them to Daisy Chain instead of configure in Start formation. 

Try moving them farther appart and try turning them OFF and back on in sequence. I usually start with the farthest RBS first, then turn on the closer RBS lastly. 

Message 5 of 7
mrcrowbar
Aspirant

I switched them, moved the basement one upstairs and up one down to basement.  For whatever reason, this seems to have solved the issue, no clue why?  Thanks all.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible how they were placed and then powered on in sequence. If the RBS are too close to each other rather than the RBR then diasy chain will take place and you see that the RBS will connect to the other RBS. Placement and distance from the RBR is key. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7