Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

so my internet access randomly went down at 3 am ( of course)....RBR750 and 3 satellites....

Cinemagic310
Guide

so my internet access randomly went down at 3 am ( of course)....RBR750 and 3 satellites....

Was there an update or a change from comcast?? my orbis were on and I was connected to the network, but no internet access.

So I went and unplugged the modem and waited till it came back on (ARRIS S33) then did the same with RBR750. this has worked in the past but not this time. I don't know why.

I tried reloading the saved config---- no good. (i get a few devices connected but most are not)

Then did a factory reset ( paper clip in the back for 10 seconds) then tried to reload saved backup config---no go.

Then did factory reset back to "orbi90" Default SSID and default password and went back and manually set everything where I wanted it:

20/40 coexist disabled

Enabled SIP ALG

Default DHCP IP pool100-200

----one a t a time.

Then I have also learned that if I change the newtwork name and the password at the same time it usually spells disaster as well....So first I changed the network name then hit apply, wait for it to come back up. Then I go and change to my password. then life is good again. I did lose a satellite somehow in the shuffle so re added that and then resaved the config back up. 

I'm trying to figure out why it happened??    

I still need to up grade to the newest firm ware all units currently on  version V4.6.9.11_2.3.5.  any opinios?

Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
Cinemagic310
Guide

Re: so my internet access randomly went down at 3 am ( of course)....RBR750 and 3 satellites....

UPDATE

My system had gone down at like 3:45 AM last Saturday morning and I new it was down but said to hell with it ....I am not getting out of bed to fix it, I'll do it when I wake up.

Next thing I know, it all started working again around 8 am.

More interesting is that my next door neighbor had been losing internet and I saw comcast there, and I have since found out that Xfinity told her that something wasnt right up on the pole and told her it could cause a fire- then the local electric company was up on the pole very shortly thereafter, and he said that whatever he was doing could have been related to it all. ( Iam trying to get details from my neighbor and will post if I get additional info that could be of any help to anyone)

Long story short, it seems like whatever they all did has helped my Orbi as I went and did a complete unplug of my Arris S33, then plugged it back in ( which previously would have been the kiss of death) it power cycled, came back online, and everything came back on and worked. Then to go a step further, I rebooted the Orbi system ( which has never ever worked since the day I installed the system over a year ago) it rebooted, went through all its stages and lights etc and then VERY quickly went magenta and then came back online, ALL BY ITSELF with ZERO interaction from me, no can't get IP address issues, no problems at all.

SETTINGS:

SIP is default setting (which is disabled on Orbi RBR750)

IPV 6 ENABLED

default IP pool 100-200

MANUALLY ENTERED IPV 4 DNS Servers for Cloudflare

Manually entered IPV 6 Servers for Cloudflare as well

If you need to know anything else let me know. I do thank you (everyone) for your help in trying to solve this.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

Message 38 of 40

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: so my internet access randomly went down at 3 am ( of course)....RBR750 and 3 satellites....

What was the front LED indication on the RBR? PINK? 

Do you have the disable AutoUpdate feature disabled on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

RBR was magenta ..I believe. 

I do not know how to set them to auto update. If I go to Advanced; ADMIN, firmware, update it shows just as of the last few days that the new version is available.

But I have to select " update all" to initialize. I have not done that yet because I cannot afford to have issues right now for the next week or so. ( doing zoom meets etc and need everything to work!)

Message 3 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that if you want to update FW, manually do it with a wired PC and web browser connected to the RBS web pages first, the the RBR using the manual tab on the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

You can also disable Auto Update as well afterwards:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

Message 4 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

Open to suggestions for other brands of routers and mesh systems not made by Netgear
please respond!

Tired of this thing randomly dropping internet and its a 2 hour process everytime to get it back. Including doing a full factory reset this is bull**bleep**.
I had an apple airport setup for YEARS that neve needed to be touched.
If anyone interested in orbi 750 and 3 sats cheap....let me know.

Message 5 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: OK im done wiTH this POS system...

Do you have the CBK750 or RBK 750 system? 

Message 6 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

The RBK 753 is the one in use. Since the whole system was down I figured it was a good time to upgrade the firmware. It's just a real constant pain in the ass you can back up settings in a config file and try to restore them and it just doesn't ever work. The only time it ever Works properly is after you do a factory reset and go through line by line and it takes a good half hour every time. I even have the modem and the router hooked up into an APC backup power to prevent any hiccups or headaches, but nonetheless I wake up 6:00 in the morning my Wi-Fi is down for no apparent reason.
Message 7 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Makes me wonder if there is a environment issue or configuration issue causing problems. If you see this across both the CBR and RBK systems, this would point to something around your environment. 

There has been some known ISP services issues with CC/XF over the past several months.

I've not seen this issue on my 7 series nor CBR when I had it running about a year ago. Just got a RBR750 from someone off Reddit that couldn't get his working with RBS ethernet connected to the RBR. Worked just fine for me and my ethernet connected RBS. Ran full on 7 days with zero issues. 

What line by line configurations are you doing after a FR and setup from scratch? 

Are you enabling the SW features like Armor, SPC and Traffic Meter? 

Any IP address reservations or port forward configurations? 

What channels are you using? I use 1 and 40 here. I've got a next door neighbor with a Orbi system so I try to keep as far away channelwise. 

Something you might try, test the RBR out in a different location, i.e. friend or family if possible. Would be telling if the problem followed or not. 

Message 8 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update FW on this system? 

@Cinemagic310 wrote:

Was there an update or a change from comcast?? my orbis were on and I was connected to the network, but no internet access.

So I went and unplugged the modem and waited till it came back on (ARRIS S33) then did the same with RBR750. this has worked in the past but not this time. I don't know why.

I tried reloading the saved config---- no good. (i get a few devices connected but most are not)

Then did a factory reset ( paper clip in the back for 10 seconds) then tried to reload saved backup config---no go.

Then did factory reset back to "orbi90" Default SSID and default password and went back and manually set everything where I wanted it:

20/40 coexist disabled

Enabled SIP ALG

Default DHCP IP pool100-200

----one a t a time.

Then I have also learned that if I change the newtwork name and the password at the same time it usually spells disaster as well....So first I changed the network name then hit apply, wait for it to come back up. Then I go and change to my password. then life is good again. I did lose a satellite somehow in the shuffle so re added that and then resaved the config back up. 

I'm trying to figure out why it happened??    

I still need to up grade to the newest firm ware all units currently on  version V4.6.9.11_2.3.5.  any opinios?

Message 9 of 40
plemans
Guru

I'd agree with @FURRYe38, what else is in your environment and settings? 
I have a RBK752 system currently and its been pretty rock solid and the only time its down is if I'm messing with it. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

How big is the home and what is it made of material wise? 

What firmware version are you on with the router and the satellites? 

Message 10 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

What line by line configurations are you doing after a FR and setup from scratch?  Enabling SIP, IP pool 100-200

20/40  coexist off, when all thoseare  done I change network name, then apply. then after it comes back on I can change password to my previous password so all my devices reconnect. finally I re enable guest network and pass

Are you enabling the SW features like Armor, SPC and Traffic Meter? No /none

Any IP address reservations or port forward configurations? no

What channels are you using? Auto on 2.4 and 48 on 5gig

I am assuming it is set off by something comcast is doing???  I have no idea...

Message 11 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

Arris S33 normal colonial house, no lead lined walls....lol that wouldnt make the orbi lose connection to the modem though its hardwired. the WIFI will be up but no internet. then after all reboots etc, unplug modem unplug router....wait 2 minutes  plug modem in....wait...plug router in. I don't even bother anymore. I know I have to factory reset and start over.

Message 12 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR the only router you have on hand at the moment? 

What region of the USA are you located? 

Seems like there is a problem between the modem and RBR. IF the RBR is loosing it's connection with the modem, there is a problem at the RBRs WAN port, cabling issue, modem is having issues or the ISP services are causing problems. 

Message 13 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

YES RBR only router I have. I am in south Jersey.. This is the second system I have had that does this, netgear replaced the first one and then this does exactly the same thing. 

It isn't the modem because the CBR modem router combo does the same thing!!  And thats all inside of one casing ---so what makes a modem not assign IP address to the router???  the ISP no?

Message 14 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Well we saw issues with the ISP side for the CBR750 as well. That still being investigated. 

Last year CC/XF changed there speed tier plans and stopped supporting there 1Gb and did a split at 800Mbps and 1.2Gb. This caused several users to suddenly seen problems on the CBR. The CBR only has 1Gb LAN ports so even though the modem side can handle 4Gb on the modem, the LAN ports limit is 1Gb. Users had to downgrade there speed tiers to 800Mpbs to help solve some of the issues seen there. I have 3 other CBR users that are not experiencing any issues as well. I think of of them is still on a 1Gb plan that the ISP hasn't changed.

This was cause by the ISP, not by NG. 

Seems to be something in your environment that causes problems. 

Something you would be suggested to do, find something else, from Amazon. Anything, any brand, I'd go with a single non mesh router and get it connected behind the modem and see if any problems continue. 

Id also check on the RBR at a different location to see if the problem follows or not. I'd be interested to help here. 

Message 15 of 40
plemans
Guru

What modem is it? 

Is that all its doing? Not assigning an IP address?

Message 16 of 40
plemans
Guru

sorry, missed the s33, ignore that. replying without reading the new ones
Message 17 of 40
plemans
Guru

The S33 has a 2.5gig port and a 1 gig port. 

Which port are you using? 
Make sure nothing else is connected to the other port. Xfinity only supports 1 public ip address meaning you can only have 1 device connected to the s33 with xfinity. 

Message 18 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the RBR see this problem on either WAN port on the Arris modem? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP would be highly recommended if your using the 2.5Gb port on the modem. 

Also do you have any email logging enabled on the RBR? 

Message 19 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

its on the 2.5 nothing else connected, I am aware of comcast only letting you have on device active.
Message 20 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

It says CAT 5E on cable I can go to best buy later and pick up 6 it thats better. I do not believe I have any email logging..... where would that be on UI?

Message 21 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so lets get a CAT6A STP cable installed between the modem and RBR please. 

After you get that installed, Review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Reb...

Message 22 of 40
plemans
Guru

Might also try the 1gig port on the S33. Maybe there's issue with the 2.5. 

Do you also have the s33's cable connections page? 

Message 23 of 40
Cinemagic310
Guide

Ok so I will try to go get cat 6 today and enable email logging. S33 cable connection page?? There's only one e way to hook it up that I am aware of...
Message 24 of 40
plemans
Guru

I just mean log into the S33 to check its cable connections page and event lots. 

Should be able to access it through the router at 192.168.100.1

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7