Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

temporarily disable 5ghz wifi to connect 2.4ghz devices at RBK852

BurschF
Follower

temporarily disable 5ghz wifi to connect 2.4ghz devices at RBK852

Hello, I have a RBK852 with router and satelite installed. I am facing the issue with some 2.4ghz devices that I can't connect them to my wifi due to the 5ghz. Is there a way to temporarily disable the 5ghz to connect devices? I connect to the router and under wifi there are no options to toggle this on or off...... clearly a feature missing . Thanks in advance for your help and advice 🙂 

Message 1 of 3

Re: temporarily disable 5ghz wifi to connect 2.4ghz devices at RBK852

@BurschF wrote:

Is there a way to temporarily disable the 5ghz to connect devices? I connect to the router and under wifi there are no options to toggle this on or off...... clearly a feature missing .

Oh dear, another one bitten by this "bug".

The only place with a missing feature is the mobile app you are using to set up the IoT thing.

The answer is that you cannot disable 5 GHz, and in 99% of cases you don't need to.

Over the past three or four years this issue has appeared here every week or so with monotonous regularity.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – mesh 5 GHz iot

You do not say what IoT things you are trying to set up. There's a good chance that someone  has already tried it. Search this place for the device.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. The setup app should be able to connect to 5 GHz wifi and still talk to things on 2.4 GHz.

Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people on some devices is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your router's wifi set up (see below)
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

To work out how to turn of the 5 GHz wifi, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your router's model number and check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios. The exact working may differ for your router.

If this option isn't there for your router, see if your mobile device has an option to force it to connect to 2.4 GHz.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: temporarily disable 5ghz wifi to connect 2.4ghz devices at RBK852

You can't disable 5Ghz nor separate SSIDs on any Orbi AX System. 

So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Turn OFF ALL RBS temporarily. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 
Be sure that 20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled.

@BurschF wrote:

Hello, I have a RBK852 with router and satelite installed. I am facing the issue with some 2.4ghz devices that I can't connect them to my wifi due to the 5ghz. Is there a way to temporarily disable the 5ghz to connect devices? I connect to the router and under wifi there are no options to toggle this on or off...... clearly a feature missing . Thanks in advance for your help and advice 🙂 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7