Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1gig speeds virgin broadband

rootzmanuva
Aspirant

1gig speeds virgin broadband

Hi,

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently upgraded to virgin 1 gig broadband (I’m in the uk) with min. DL 560mb and UL50 mb. I’ve put the ISP router in modem mode to link up to my orbi rbr50v2 (as I did with my previous 200mb package).

When doing Speedtests via Wi-Fi connected devices on Ookla or using the speedtest in the orbi app, I’m only getting around 300-400mb. I consistently get the 50mb upload speed. I’ve read that others are getting around 800mb DL. I appreciate I won’t get the full 1gig DL speeds via Wi-Fi but thought I might get closer to 1gig than this.

Any ideas how I can get closer to 1gig to my wireless devices using my orbi mesh system?

Thanks
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: 1gig speeds virgin broadband

300-400 is about what you can expect from wireless. 

What speed do you get hardwired into the router?

Message 2 of 7
rootzmanuva
Aspirant

When doing a samknows speedtest it is telling me 1gig plus is coming into the router. The ISP is saying it is fine too.

I’ve only got a smart tv and firestick wired in, which I don’t think are capable of getting 1gig. The firestick is getting around 300mv hardwired.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

a firestick/cube/etc isn't going to max out a gigabit connection. 

Again, try a pc/laptop

Message 4 of 7
rootzmanuva
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply

I will try this but when using the Orbi app speedtest, which to my understanding, tests the speed going through the Orbi router. It is maxing out at around 700mb (just now), which is an improvement from previous tests. Also, prior to setting up the Orbi, I used the ISP’s router, which showed plus 1gig to the router but lower than 500mb onwards to wireless devices. I would have thought stood next to the router doing a speedtest with a new iPhone I’d be getting closer to 1 gig!? I appreciate wireless isn’t going to be as good as wired.

Therefore, my thoughts are that the speed is ok to my house/router but from the ISP router onwards something is not quite right (regardless of whether the Orbi mesh system is in use).
Message 5 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

You can try these steps from the community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slo....  Don't use the Orbi's speed test, instead use the speedtest.net phone/desktop app or use the speedtest.net website in a desktop browser.

I agree that your AC wireless speeds are about all you can expect.  Unfortunately there are so many environmental reasons why even with AX (which your Orbi RBR50 does not support) you often will not get much higher than 500-600 Mbps even in the best times.

Message 6 of 7
rootzmanuva
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements