Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 or 3 Satelites?

Beachcomber09
Aspirant

2 or 3 Satelites?

I am considering the Orbi to help extend my wifi range.  I have High Speed internet currently from Comcast.  The goal is to get the wifi to extend fully into my guest house.  My set up is as follows router is 40' from the end of the bulding closest to guest house.  Closest end of gues house is approximately 40'- 50' from closest side of main house and the far side of the guest house is approximately 28' across.  So I was thinking I need at least 2 satelites.  First one at end of main house 40 feet from router then second one just inside closest end of guest house?

Furthest spot in the guest house is approx 120' from router.  Can someone let me know if they think Orbi is the best system to accomplish this and if 2 satelites are sufficient.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
Beachcomber09
Aspirant

Re: 2 or 3 Satelites?

Sorry my mistake the questions should have been 1 or 2 satelites. I was referring to the router as a satelite in the original post.  So the question is do I need the router and 1 Satelite or router and 2 Satelites?

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

I wouldn't expect very good performance in the guest house. With 40-50' and two walls between the Orbi router and satellite your backhaul connection might be poor.  Better to run an Ethernet wire to the guest house, or use some sort of point-to-point wireless link.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

From what I understand, the Orbi is packaged with a square foot coverage rating, i.e. 5,000 or 7,000.  This is probably a best guess for the major unknown is the actual makeup of the structure, walls, doors, etc.

I bought the AC3000 package (router + 2 sats) which I beleive is rated at 7,000 sq feet.  My house is just over 2,000.  However I wanted coverage in the backyard as well as wifi speed transfer between the router and devices.  I use SlingTV.

My recommendation would be to purchase what you can afford.  The Orbi appears to be a solid performer and if one sat is not enough for you I beleive you can add more.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
Beachcomber09
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. Running an ethernet cable isnt an option unfortunately.  Can you elaborate on what a wireless point to point link is.  Limited IT knowledge over here obviously.  Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

A wireless point-to-point link is a pair of antennas. You place one on each building.  They form a wireless link that replaces a cable.  Something like the Nanobeam 5 (NBE-5AC) from Ubiquiti. They are under $100 per antenna. Installation and setup would require some knowledge, and they would likely need to be mounted outside for full speed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7