Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 routers? RBR40

alexsos
Aspirant

2 routers? RBR40

Hi,

My current setup: RBR40 as a router, 1 Satellite RBS40. Router connected to multi-switch resulting in LAN connection in rooms on 2-level house. I mostly use Apple family products and Sony.

Still oneSatellite not enough - not covering the whole house. In my office I need a stable connections and it's there where Satellite WIFI coverage is not enough.

I was thinking to setup additional Orbi router (RBR40/LBR20) in my office, using LAN connection in "wall" coming from the switch.

Will this work? I was thinking also about exchanging my RBR40 for LBR20 (with LTE) and putting RBR40 in the office the same way as explained above.

My basic question is if 2-router setup will work out. Otherwise, what of Orbi products I could use to deploy LAN connection in my office for both LAN (iMac) and WIFI receivers (smartphones, laptop).

Thank you,

alexsos

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

With there already being an ethernet cable connecting the Orbi router location and the office, the optimal solution is to install any Orbi satellite that has an ethernet jack on it, such as the RBS50, the RBS40, or RBS20 (available on eBay for about $100).  The "wall plug" model has no ethernet jack, so it is not a suitable solution.

Message 2 of 6
alexsos
Aspirant

So what you are saying is that I can use satellite as a router through ethernet? I thought ethernet connections were only to connect satellite with outer hardware like a desktop. Now you're saying that they can be both? Any special settings for a satellite needed?
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry my answer was confusing.  There is only one router, the RBR40.  Any number of satellites can connect to it, and some of the satellites have ethernet jacks which computers and other devices can connect to - in addition to the WiFi connection.  There will still be one connection to the internet (through the router).  Adding a satellite with at least two ethernet jacks in the office will allow:

• The satellite to connect to the Orbi router at the highest reliable speed (over the ethernet cable), and
  • Provide another ethernet jack for office use.  For example, connect an inexpensive "unmanaged" gigabit ethernet switch to the satellite and then plug in computers, printers, laptops, etc. etc. to the switch.
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 5 of 6
alexsos
Aspirant

Now it's clear. I was looking for something cheap. I guess this one will work out when setup as satellite.

What do you think about it? RBR20

https://www.mediaexpert.pl/komputery-i-tablety/urzadzenia-sieciowe/routery-xdsl/router-orbi-rbr20-wi...

One in, one out and obviously WIFI out.

alexsos

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7