Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3000 Gigabit Speed Upgrade Failure

mrfish1228
Aspirant

AC3000 Gigabit Speed Upgrade Failure

I just upgraded amy internet service to gigabit speed. When I plug directly into the wall, the speed is over 900, but when I go through my Orbi AC300, it maxs out at 300. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or something different that needs to be done to access the gigabit speed through my Orbi?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC3000 Gigabit Speed Upgrade Failure

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Ethernet speeds with a wired PC connected at the RBR should see near 900Mpbs with Ooklas installable speed test app. 
Wireless speeds with a wireless PC could be anywhere from 200-500Mpbs depending on the devices design and support. You'll never see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AX on this model Orbi. 

@mrfish1228 wrote:

I just upgraded amy internet service to gigabit speed. When I plug directly into the wall, the speed is over 900, but when I go through my Orbi AC300, it maxs out at 300. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or something different that needs to be done to access the gigabit speed through my Orbi?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: AC300 Gigabit Speed Upgrade Failure

Did you try factory resetting the orbi? 

Always worth a chance after changing services/speeds

After the reset, make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled during the install. 

Then test it. 

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

It would help to know:

• The model number from the product label (bottom of the router)
  • How speed is being measured (over Ethernet, WiFi, using what software)
Message 3 of 14
mrfish1228
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. The model number is RBR50v2 and I'm measuring the speed via speedtest.net (ookla). When I use my Orbi app on my iPhone, the download speed is 939 Mbps and the upload speed is 903 Mbps. When I do the speed test on my laptop, download speed is 173.79 and upload is 120.98. Why the huge discrepancy? What can I do to fix it? 

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi 'app' does not actually "do anything." It sends a message to the router, which performs a Speedtest licensed from Ookla and sends the results back to the app to be displayed.

Results on a laptop will depend on how it is connected to the router.

• A relatively modern laptop on an Ethernet connection might not the ISP full speed, but it should  report much greater speed than that.  My 8 year old desktop that is wired to the same router (RBR50V1) gets the same speed as the router (350Mbps from Spectrum)  I pay for 200Mbps, so I'm happy.
  • A laptop connected over WiFi will depend on (a) the capability of the laptop WiFi adapter and (b) the distance from the router.
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Ethernet speeds with a wired PC connected at the RBR should see near 900Mpbs with Ooklas installable speed test app. 
Wireless speeds with a wireless PC could be anywhere from 200-500Mpbs depending on the devices design and support. You'll never see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AX on this model Orbi. 

@mrfish1228 wrote:

Message 6 of 14
krlesch
Star

The speed that you will get on various devices will depend on a few things specific to those devices (age, wireless protocol, etc.).

I found a nice write-up that explains a lot at this site:

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi%2Ccomputers-wi-fi%2Cco...

krlesch_1-1674396166006.png

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Those wifi speeds are probably based on 2x2 MIMO devices. Some 4x4 MIMO devices can do 900Mpbs and over on AC and AX modes depending on support and configuration. 

Message 8 of 14
krlesch
Star

Furrye38 is correct - and that's probably why the OP's IPhone gets great download speeds (4x4 MIMO) and the laptop doesn't (2x2MIMO).

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Iphones aren't 4x4 antenna's. Just 2x2. 

Message 10 of 14
mrfish1228
Aspirant

Thanks for your feedback - I've gotten it corrected!

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So what did you do to correct it? 

Message 12 of 14
mrfish1228
Aspirant

Added Cat 6 cable and repositioned the Orbi router.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation