× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC3000/RBR50 WiFi failures

drwalther
Aspirant

AC3000/RBR50 WiFi failures

I am grateful for your assistance, since the novice stuff accessible at my level (updating firmware, rebooting, hard restarts) have failed.  

Device specifics:

firmware version V2.7.3.22 (when the firmware check doesn't fail, it says there's not a new((er)) version of firmware)

security method WPA2-PSK

Anywhere Access on, can't turn it off...get the message "this operation is not available using Access Anywhere" (same thing when I try turing Traffic Meter "on" in the app homescreen

primary device plus satellite/extender unit

hardware warranty 24 Feb 2019

About a week and a half ago, got an error message in Safari on a Mac laptop that a website couldn't be reached. Others in the family using iOS devices struggled with obtaining internet download info. We did the usual reboots, restarts, turning off the hardware, letting it sit, then turning it back on. The problem persisted and was narrowed down to the WiFi.  I run an ethernet cable through the Orbi, and that data was unaffected.Given the sequence of events and absence of any fundamental changes on my end (new devices, new OS, nothing questionable as malware), I did not feel culpable. I sent out call for help to the family tech wizard, but unfortunately this eluded his expertise.

The intermittency of the types of problems confound greater elaboration. Sometimes iMessages don't go through (the WiFi network). Sometimes an alert shows up in iOS on the Wi-Fi scren that there is "No Internet Connection". Sometimes informed that a Server Identiy couldn't be identified, with the specific server DNS designation listed. I revisited account settings for email, and updated a port setting, as well as name of the questionable server, only to find disappointment. My Nest, MusicCast, 1Password, and other apps on my iOS device reported that their cohorts in the real world were no longer discoverable, as if they'd not worked together pleasantly and productively for years and years.

Eventually what I believe to be the smoking gun did present.  Certificate "www.routerlogin.net" expiring 1/6/31 was Not Trusted (in dramatic red.)  Now, I get that we all have some basic and fundamental trust issues, some of which might actually be beneficial to us, this one provided screen after screen of excuses (orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net, routerlogin.com, extened key usage info, algorithm, parameters, and my favorite, the Signature Data) but it neither screamed hacking attempt from afar, nor provided anything useful to me in resolving the ongoing issue.  A kind soul in support at my ISP suggested I reset the Orbi to factory settings. I've been reticent to pull that particular trigger because I simply don't believe that will resolve this, I wasn't told to do it by someone who actually understood the problem, and it'd generate a lot of work for me in setting it all up again.  

Of course, I pulled out my best Google-Fu.  I sort of hoped to the first result would be a netgear patch installable in a few seconds.  Nah, just another unicorn there.  I did find something that appeared applicable here in the forums, and the solution was turning off Access Control. That sounds great, and I'm up for it, but sadly confess that I just don't know how.

Thank you for reading the lengthy ramblings of this noob! I authentically appreciate it, even if you have nothing more to add to the solution.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi (WiFi5 RBK10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 Series). Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
drwalther
Aspirant

thank you, thank you!  Will do!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4