Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AP Mode : WAN Port = Link Down?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

AP Mode : WAN Port = Link Down?

I just got an ORBI a couple days ago and have finished setting it up. I have it currently running in AP mode, but when I view the Statistics Page (in the admin advanced web UI page), it shows that the WAN port is down.

However, the WAN port is actually connected to my switch which is connected to my router.

According to my switch (which is managed), the WAN port on the Orbi is connected and I can view the packet stats on my switch. It's just that the Orbi seems to think that the WAN port is down for some reason and doesn't show any stats.

is this just a bug, or is there something else going on?

Do I even need to use the WAN port in AP mode, or would one of the ethernet ports also work just fine? in AP mode, does the Orbi treat the WAN port as just another ethernet port?

Either way, the Orbi should realize that the WAN is functional and packets are flowing through it.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: AP Mode : WAN Port = Link Down?

Hello YTN

I will check if this is a bug or not they wan port should be working.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the response DarrenM.

Please let me know when you've heard back from the dev team regarding whether this is a bug or not.

FYI, Access to a bugtracker to track and follow specific issues / file enhancement requests etc. would be nice! 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5

i think what you will find when in ap mode the link is no longer seen as i think its part of the router functionality

yes in thoery the wan port will act just like any other port when in ap mode , however im not sure if connecting to a lan port may somehow disturb the way the wifi works backhaul wise 

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's true that in AP mode, the concept of "WAN" is not relevent, since there's no routing functionality. However, the WAN port is still just an ethernet port transmitting packets, so it should reflect that it's up and show packet stats. Saying the port is down is incorrect and confusing.

I am not sure how being in AP mode could affect backhaul WRT to WAN vs LAN ports... I guess it depends on how the firmware is written. If written correctly, it shouldn't matter 😉 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7