Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AT&T Fiber (Internet 1000 Service) - Orbi WiFi download speed <100Mbps while AT&T NVG599 > 300Mbps

2orbified
Aspirant

AT&T Fiber (Internet 1000 Service) - Orbi WiFi download speed <100Mbps while AT&T NVG599 > 300Mbps

I'm a bit perplexed on this one.  I have some knowledge on networking but since the Orbi is pretty much locked down, I'm not sure there is anything to do but move away from the Orbi.

My challenge (or question):  The Orbi's WiFi (with 2 satellites) is much slower, consistently, than the AT&T provided NVG599 router's WiFi...

AT&T Fiber Internet 1000 Service

All tests on 5 GHz. (Orbi @ 40 MHz and NVG599 @ 80MHz.  I can set the bandwidth on the NVG599 but not on the Orbi).

NVG599 in bridge mode/WiFi off when using/testing the Orbi.

Devices:  Macbook Pro (802.11ac), iPhone X, iPad Pro 12

WiFi Speeds

Orbi:  50 to 80Mbps download 

Orbi iOS app: speed test shows 300+ Mbps (my understanding is that's not a WiFi test)

NVS599: 300 Mbps or higher download(s)

Seems the Orbi WiFi should be able to at least match the AT&T provided NVG599 -- or is this a simple problem with a simple solution - just buy another router that has more power than the NVG599 and provides for configuration settings by the user (and dump the Orbi)?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: AT&T Fiber (Internet 1000 Service) - Orbi WiFi download speed <100Mbps while AT&T NVG

Yes, you should be getting better speeds than that. My 2015 Macbook (non-pro) regularly sees ~550 Mbps over the Orbi.

One thing to check: make sure that WMM is always enabled in the advanced wireless settings, otherwise you'll never see wireless-n or ac speeds (both of which require WMM). If you switch that off, it will severely hobble the WiFi speeds.

Message 2 of 6
2orbified
Aspirant

Re: AT&T Fiber (Internet 1000 Service) - Orbi WiFi download speed <100Mbps while AT&T NVG

Guzzijason,  I appreciate you providing a suggestion and I'll give that a look and test.  Will revert back if successful (or not).

Message 3 of 6
2orbified
Aspirant

I enabled the Orbi WiFi again, signed on to the RBR50 via my web browser (orbilogin) and reviewed the WMM setting.  The option "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" was "checked" (on).

As you may know, within orbilogin there is an option to run an OOKLA speedtest (under the Advanced tab).  I did that and got back 495.55 Mbs download. Seems the RBR50 was getting a good download speed via AT&T Fiber.

I then ran an OOKLA web based speed test from my Macbook Pro and got around 65 Mbs download (much slower). (I'm was connected to the Orbi WiFi via 5GHz, 80 MHz).

I returned to orbilogin and, under the Advanced Wireless Settings, turned off (unchecked) the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" option.  Saved that change and rebooted the device.

Upon reboot, I ran another OOKLA test via orbilogin (got back 495 Mbs download again) and then ran an OOKLA web based speed test from my Macbook Pro and got back 493.96 Mbps (still connected via 5 GHz, 80 MHz).  I was pleased for about 5 minutes.  I ran another web based OOKLA speed test and the download speed was back to 69.5 Mbps.  

Back in orbilogin, I could see that my macbook pro was connected to one of the Orbi satellites (vs. the Orbi router).  For a test, I turned off (unplugged) both of the Orbi satellites and rebooted the Orbi router.  After the reboot, I verified my macbook pro was connected (5GHz, 80 MHz) and ran another OOKLA web based speed test.  The results were back to 496 Mbs.   I waited about another 5 minutes and ran the test again – and the results were about the same, 495 Mbs download speed.

I decided to power-up one of the Orbi satellites and followed the Orbi sync procedures.  

and then watched to see if my macBook pro would connect to it (or remain connected to the Orbi Router).  At first, the MBP stayed connected to the Orbi Router -- after a while it switched to the Orbi satellite.  I ran another web based OOKLA speed test and at the beginning of the test, the speed was well below 100 Mbs but as the test progressed, it ramped up to over 400 Mbps (at the very tail end of the test) - I went back to see which Orbi device my MBP was connected to and guess what, it was back on the Orbi Router.  

This makes me a bit suspicious that the Orbi satellite is a part of the problem (or the Netgear Orbi software has a bug somewhere). 

So, this isn't fully resolved for me yet - I'm going to do a bit more monitoring (watching the speed) BUT I really don't plan on spending more hours running tests, making configuration changes and rebooting the Orbi devices - at some point, if a fix doesn't "stick," I'll just move on to another vendor.

Message 4 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

If you are getting slow speeds when connected satellite, check the "Attached Devices" page of the router - does it show the satellite connected with 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz? I'm wonding if it could be some sort of interference or signal strenth problem on the backhaul between the router and satellite.

Message 5 of 6
2orbified
Aspirant

My MBP is consistenly connected @ 5GHz (confirmed via Orbilogin.com  Attached Devices and "option+click" on wifi on my MBP.  When I look at the 5GHz signal, it very strong and there isn't any nearby interference or overlap with a neighbor's 5GHz signal (looking at the Channel, SNR, Noise, Signal and Quality). 

Today I can get around 120Mbps download (nowhere near what I should be seeing).  QoS Setup Speedtest via Orbilogin.com shows Download 480.45Mbps - I'm sitting about 10 feet from an Orbi satellite.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7