Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ATT fiber BGW210 and costco RBR50 RBS50

lhjlmm
Aspirant

ATT fiber BGW210 and costco RBR50 RBS50

Hi, I've read through several of the forum posts and I think I have everything working, but I can't get into orbilogin.com.

I followed these instructions.

1) I have a cable from one of the yellow ports 1-4 on the BGW to the RBR50 yellow port that says Internet.

2) I logged onto the BGW at 192.168.1.254, went to the Firewall tab and select IP Passthrough.

Allocation mode = Passthrough

Passthrough mode = DHCPS - Fixed

MAC address = selected the Orbi RBR50 from the dropdown.

3) Then went to the Home Network tab and select Wi-Fi and clicked Advanced Options

Turned off both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

4) Went on my Orbi app WiFi Settings and changed the SSID and PW to match whatever was on the BGW

It looks like the WiFi is working but when I look at my Orbi app it says Internet is offline.  My network map shows the RBR50 as pink while both my satellites are green.  I can't logon to www.orbilogin.com or 10.0.0.1 so I went on BGW Device tab and selected Device List.  I see the RBR50 there and I copied the IP address and put it into chrome I still get nothing.  Can anyone help with this?  I need to get into orbilogin to do the last step which is

5) Set  Internet in the Orbi web GUI to get dynamic IP and same for DNS.  ATT extermal IP doesn't ever change but this is the easiest way to get a proper connection.  The Orbi should now get the external IP from ATT.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

It is almost never a good idea to have two routers back to back (Google "Double-NAT").  Because the BGW is used only for internet (no TV, no telephone service), it looks to like you have two choices:

• Unplug the BGW and use the Orbi instead of it.  (Move everything from the BGW LAN ports to the Orbi LAN ports)
  • Keep the BGW in its normal mode and install the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

I believe that "Passthrough" will only work if the Orbi is the only thing connected to the BGW.

The first thing I would do is restore the BGW to its original state and verify that "everything works as before."

Factory reset the Orbi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

At this point, choose which path to take: replace the BGW or Orbi in LAN mode.  My biggest consideration would be how much effort have I put into customizing the BGW.  Have I assigned IP addresses to a lot of devices and do not want to go through that all over again?

• Yes.  Then pick AP mode.
  • No.  Then it won't hurt to try replacing. (The BGW can always be plugged back in.)

To replace, unplug the BGW. Move everything from the BGW LAN ports to the Orbi LAN ports.  Move the ethernet cable from the BGW RED (WAN) port to the Orbi YELLOW (WAN) port.  Power on the Orbi and go through the setup.  If something "goes wrong", then simply unplug the Orgi, move everything back to the BGW, and plug the BGW back in.

The AP option involves these steps:

• Plug the Orbi into the BGW.
  • Learn the IP address asssigned to the Orbi.
  • Use any web browser connected to the network to reach the Orbi web interface: http://<ip of Orbi>.  The login will be "admin" and "password" (because it was reset to factory).
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router / AP mode.
  • Select AP Mode, Apply, and the Orbi will reset. (takes foreeeeeever).
  • At this point, you can do the Orbi Wireless Setup and give it the exact same WiFi/password credentials as the BGW.
  • Go back to the BGW and disable WiFi.
  •  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
lhjlmm
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that I'm running FW v2.3.5.30

Message 2 of 12
lhjlmm
Aspirant

Some other questions that might arise.  The AT&T service is used for internet only.  The BGW-210 is connected to the red ONT port.  Nothing is connected on the RBR50 or RBS50 ports besides the Internet port on the RBR50 connected to the BGW.  I have several devices connected to the BGW.  Port 1 is connected to a 4-port netgear prosafe switch with a PC and an iMac.  Port 2 is connected to an 8-port netgear prosafe switch with Apple TV, Samsung TV, AV receiver.  Port 3 is connected to my Arlo base station.  Port 4 is connected to the RBR50.  There are too many wifi devices to list, but everything seems to be working.  I just can't log into the RBR50.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

It is almost never a good idea to have two routers back to back (Google "Double-NAT").  Because the BGW is used only for internet (no TV, no telephone service), it looks to like you have two choices:

• Unplug the BGW and use the Orbi instead of it.  (Move everything from the BGW LAN ports to the Orbi LAN ports)
  • Keep the BGW in its normal mode and install the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

I believe that "Passthrough" will only work if the Orbi is the only thing connected to the BGW.

The first thing I would do is restore the BGW to its original state and verify that "everything works as before."

Factory reset the Orbi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

At this point, choose which path to take: replace the BGW or Orbi in LAN mode.  My biggest consideration would be how much effort have I put into customizing the BGW.  Have I assigned IP addresses to a lot of devices and do not want to go through that all over again?

• Yes.  Then pick AP mode.
  • No.  Then it won't hurt to try replacing. (The BGW can always be plugged back in.)

To replace, unplug the BGW. Move everything from the BGW LAN ports to the Orbi LAN ports.  Move the ethernet cable from the BGW RED (WAN) port to the Orbi YELLOW (WAN) port.  Power on the Orbi and go through the setup.  If something "goes wrong", then simply unplug the Orgi, move everything back to the BGW, and plug the BGW back in.

The AP option involves these steps:

• Plug the Orbi into the BGW.
  • Learn the IP address asssigned to the Orbi.
  • Use any web browser connected to the network to reach the Orbi web interface: http://<ip of Orbi>.  The login will be "admin" and "password" (because it was reset to factory).
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router / AP mode.
  • Select AP Mode, Apply, and the Orbi will reset. (takes foreeeeeever).
  • At this point, you can do the Orbi Wireless Setup and give it the exact same WiFi/password credentials as the BGW.
  • Go back to the BGW and disable WiFi.
  •  

Message 4 of 12
lhjlmm
Aspirant

Thank you CrimpOn!  I tried and can't replace the BGW210 with the Orbi because the BGW210 is a modem/router, while the Orbi is just a router and I need the BGW for the modem.  So I started from scratch and and unplugged and resetted everything.  Plugging in only the Orbi to the BGW for IP passthrough.  After I setup the Orbi and then plugged my PC into the Orbi directly, I was able to to finally log into orbilogin.com.  Turns out after I logged into orbilogin that I didn't need to change anything because the Orbi defaults at getting the IP dynamically and DNS automatically.  Everything seems to be working so I'm not sure if I need to do anything else.  Is my BGW setup now as only a modem with IP passthrough and wifi turned off?  Or do I need to go into the 'Firewall' tab and then 'Packet Filter' to disable Packet Filters to turn off the routing function of the BGW?  Does it matter since the Orbi is the only thing plugged into the BGW?

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Sounds like you are good for now.  Sorry to have misled you about removing the BGW.  When I hear "fiber", my thought is that the fiber ONT outputs ethernet to the router's red jack.  But, I do not have AT&T (nor do I have fiber).

Good Luck

Message 6 of 12
lhjlmm
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn.  I could be wrong on needing the modem part of the BGW.  I only tried it once and it didn't work.  I should try it again, but I'm afraid to now that I have everything up and running. 😃  It does make sense that the fiber ONT outputs ethernet directly to a router's WAN port.  It would  ideal to not have to use AT&T's gateway.  Anyways, without your advice I still would've been stuck!  So appreciate your help!

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

My mantra these days is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." However, just personally, this is the sort of thing I enjoy. (Gardening... Not so much). It would be entertainment for me. You may "have a life" separate from tinkering with computers, and have better uses for your time.
Message 8 of 12
theoak
Luminary

You have 2 options.

First:

1. Leave your existing modem essentially as is; however, go into the adminstration and turn off the wifi on your existing modem.

2. Connect your Orbi to the modem and put the Orbi in Access Point mode.

3. Place your Orbi satellites.

Notes:

Your existing modem will handle all DHCP, NAT, firewall, and whatever other features the existing modem will have.

Your Orbi system is essentially just providing wifi to your network, that's it.

Second:

1. Put your existing modem in a bridge or pass through mode; again, disable the existing modem's wifi if putting the modem in bridge mode does not automatically do that.

2. Connect your Orbi and ensure it is in Router mode.

3. You may need to configure your Orbi to log in to your ISP.

4. Place your Orbi satellites.

Notes:

Your existing modem is just there to get the internet from your ISP.

Your Orbi will handle everything else - DHCP, NAT, Circle, etc depending on what you want to turn on.

The Orbi may be able to do Circle and other stuff while in Access Point mode.  I am not sure on that.  I have my own UTM/firewall that handles all that.

Message 9 of 12
lhjlmm
Aspirant

@theoak 

If I use the 1st option in AP mode, can I hook up other devices on my RBR and RBS ports?  And will wired backhaul work?

Message 10 of 12
theoak
Luminary

@lhjlmm wrote:

@theoak 

If I use the 1st option in AP mode, can I hook up other devices on my RBR and RBS ports?  And will wired backhaul work?

Yes and Yes.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines in AP mode right now. v2.5.1.8. Smiley Wink

@lhjlmm wrote:

@theoak 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7