Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control Lists for Orbi RBR50

MikeG63
Apprentice

Access Control Lists for Orbi RBR50

In recent days I have experienced issues when existing devices have tried to reconnect to my router.  It turns out that the problem was my ACL list had reached a maximum allowable of 128 devices in the allowed list.  I turned off ACL and the problem went away.

As I only have currently 32 devices connected my question is can I clear out my ACL and strat over, and if I did do this would there be any detrimental effect on my existing devices or would a simple reboot re-populate the allowed list as I have ticked allow new devices to connect to the router.

I have an Orbi RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites connected to it running the latest firmware.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reboot and start over. 

Message 2 of 7
MikeG63
Apprentice

A reboot doesn't clear the ACL as far as I am aware

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@MikeG63 wrote:

As I only have currently 32 devices connected my question is can I clear out my ACL and strat over, and if I did do this would there be any detrimental effect on my existing devices or would a simple reboot re-populate the allowed list as I have ticked allow new devices to connect to the router.nks

Mike

The router keeps a list of every device that has been "Allowed" and every device that has been "Blocked" so that it can recognize a device when it attempts to connect again.  Clearing these two tables in the Access Control menu page simply means that any device that is not currently connected will be treated as "New".  With the setting to allow new devices, that means the table will grow gradually over time.  Rebooting does not change the contents of the table. So, if the table is cleared out, then it will remain cleared out when the system reboots.  If some new devices are added to the table, then they will remain in the table after a reboot.

Message 4 of 7
MikeG63
Apprentice

I'm guessing then from what you say that if I clear my allowed and blocked ACL lists, and selecting allow new devices to connect my existing devices, after a reboot, will then simply re-connect which will populate the allowed ACL list and I can then monitor the ACL and block any unrecognised devices in the unlikely event that scenario occurs.  I am tempted to just turn the ACL function off as it's super unlikely that someone will try to hack my password and gain control.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Your choice.  I have never enabled Access Control

• Because of the complexity of my WiFi password, and
  • Because most of the forum posts regarding Access Control are regarding issues, rather than praise.
Message 6 of 7
MikeG63
Apprentice

I would tend to agree

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements