Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access a Security Camera DVR from outside local network

londonaz2003
Aspirant

Access a Security Camera DVR from outside local network

I have an Orbi router with one satelitte. This was installed to replace an ISP provided router that 'failed'. The ISP also replaced the Modem. The current configuration is an ISP provided Evolution Modem in Bridge Mode with a single Ethernet connection to an ORBI router with one satelitte that is connected to the Orbi router via an ethernet cable. My Secuirty camera DVR is also connected to the Orbi Router via an ethernet cable. Note other IOT things work fine (Thermostat, Irrigation controller, Kasa Camera, MyQ Garage Door Opener). just the DVR doesn't work.

The DVR has a reserved internal ip address. Three custom Port Forwarding services are set up for ports 6036, 554 and 8080 with an internal ip address of the DVR.

I can access the camera feed from the DVR via a cell phone app using the internal ip address of the DVR when connected to the Orbi wifi, but not using the external ip address provided by my ISP. No messages just indications that the DVR is offline in the remote app.

I have contacted the Netgear 'Pro' support line over the previous 4 weeks to try to resolve this issue and have had no luck. Nobody has been able to identify what is the problem or find any diagnostics that would point to the issue.

Part of my problem is that after two weeks of trying to fix this locally, I have now moved from SC to AZ for the winter and need to do this 'remotely'. It involves having someone come to the house and open up a remote connection to a PC connected to the local network. Not the best debugging environment. Remote access to the router would be great but there is not an option under Advanced Settings for Remote Management event though the Pro Support techs insist that there should be.

If anyone has had similiar issues and can help I would appreciate it. I can supply more specifics if needed but assistance with getting remote access to the router would be a good first step.

I am awaiting a call from 'Level 2' support but am not holding my breath.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Access a Security Camera DVR from outside local network

It would be helpful to know which Orbi router this is. (Netgear has a bunch of different product lines under the Orbi brand).

(especially, does the reference to "Pro" indicate that this is an Orbi Pro model, or that the support is "Pro".)

There have been a number of posts regarding Remote Management disappearing from various Netgear router models.  Firmware V2.7.3.22 on the original residential Orbi is missing Remote Management.  There was a post just this week about the R6400 router losing Remote Management.  No warning. No Release Notes.  Just "Poof...Gone."

The solution to remote management is to enable OpenVPN on the Orbi router.  This provides a mechanism for a remote device to connect to the Orbi LAN where it can then access any device on the LAN (including the Orbi router, that pesky NVR, etc.)  If you actually can get remote access to a PC on the LAN, that is your Remote Management mechanism until OpenVPN is enabled.

That comment about being able to use the smartphone app to view the NVR when connected to the Orbi WiFi describes "before" the move across the country, correct?

I am guessing that the typical web based "open ports" sites do not indicate these ports are active?

I cannot speak to the NVR, but there are systems that have separate Firewall rules for the LAN and "non LAN" connections (WIndows for example).

Message 2 of 6
londonaz2003
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Orbi is the AC3000 Tri Band Router (RBR50v2).

The reference to Pro refers to Pro Support that I purchased when I registered the router.

We are able to view the camera feed when connected to the Orbi wifi is currently functional. My house sitter was able to view the feed using the following ip address: 192.168.1.65:8080 when connected to wifi.

They were not able to connect when using this ip address (ISP supplied Static, non shared address: 67.20.155.4:8080. In the past we have been able to use a DDNS domain that resolves to this addresss but wanted to remove DDNS from the equation.

Using a port checker for 67.20.155.4 Port 6036 is closed, 554 and 8080 are open.

I would like to say that the only 'major' thing that changed is the router but there have been some minor tweaks on the DVR to be in sync with the router internal IP addresses. Also Netgear had me change the use of port 80 to port 8080 - not sure why but it wouldnt work locally using port 80.

If I can get remote access to the router to work it will be a bit easier to make configuration changes from AZ.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the TCP setting in the DVR if that might be useful.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@londonaz2003 wrote:

If I can get remote access to the router to work it will be a bit easier to make configuration changes from AZ.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the TCP setting in the DVR if that might be useful.

I agree. Using the remote desktop to configure OpenVPN on the Orbi router will take the house sitter out of the picture.

It might be worth double checking the Port Forwarding rules to make sure they go to the correct LAN IP.

What brand of NVR is this?  Maybe there are firewall rules (internal/external)?

Message 4 of 6
londonaz2003
Aspirant

Well I can now access my PC on the Orbi network without intervention locally. Google Chrome Remote Access is very simple to use.

I spoke with Netgear Level 2 tech who believes the issue is with the NVR. I’m not totally convinced. He did ask me to change the NAT parameter in the Orbi from Secure to Open. Did not make a difference. He assured me it did not expose my network. I will be changing it back. Netgear’s view is that if the camera feed can be accessed from a cell phone connected to the Orbi WiFi then Orbi is proven to not be the problem and accessing the NVR from outside the network cannot be impacted by the Orbi. Doesn’t sound right to me.
The NVR is a NVR-SB4ME-4P

My next strp is to try to access the DVR from the local PC and check all of the settings. I believe there is an app called CMS that should be able to do that.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@londonaz2003 wrote:
Netgear’s view is that if the camera feed can be accessed from a cell phone connected to the Orbi WiFi then Orbi is proven to not be the problem and accessing the NVR from outside the network cannot be impacted by the Orbi. Doesn’t sound right to me.

Doesn't sound correct to me, either.  The issue is remote access using Port Forwarding. I am confident that Port Forwarding "works".  I have a Pi-hole DNS filter that runs a web server on port 80 for administration.  When I forward port 80 to the Pi-hole, I can connect to it from the internet.  "no problem".  (I do not leave the port forwarded because the instant a port is forwarded, bots begin a constant stream of connection attempts and the password on this web server is not long and complicated.)

From the NVR setup, those three ports have different uses.  Up to 10 simultaneous clients on the web interface (currently 8080).  554 is for RTSP video streaming.  6036 is for the management interface.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7