Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a second orbi satellite

Elgreco3
Aspirant

Adding a second orbi satellite

Hi guys.
I plan to add a second satellite and wanted to know if instead of just buying a satellite off Amazon as a single unit, could I get another dual pack (router +satellite) and just add the satellite to my existing system?
Mostly because the price for the pack is even lower than just buying the satellite alone. Crazy..

Thanks.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: Adding a second orbi satellite

Yes, you can use the satellite from the “dual pack” to expand your system with an extra satellite. But the router in the pack can’t be used as a satellite. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Elgreco3 wrote:
Hi guys.
I plan to add a second satellite and wanted to know if instead of just buying a satellite off Amazon as a single unit, could I get another dual pack (router +satellite) and just add the satellite to my existing system?
Mostly because the price for the pack is even lower than just buying the satellite alone. Crazy..

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Elgreco3
Aspirant

3 floors total.
Router in basement, first satellite in middle floor and now I want to add anither satellite upstairs.

Btw, plan to use the second satellite wired to the router because of the distance,
So I just want to buy another but if I can use the satellite from another combo, then it's cheaper.

That's all.
Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Elgreco3 wrote:
.............So I just want to buy another but if I can use the satellite from another combo, then it's cheaper.

That's all.

Yes, that is ok for sure. You just need to sync the satellite with the router by following the normal "add new satellite procedure"..

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be fine. Just make sure the distance between is good. Starting is 30 feet in between. Wired or wireless. 

@Elgreco3 wrote:
3 floors total.
Router in basement, first satellite in middle floor and now I want to add anither satellite upstairs.

Btw, plan to use the second satellite wired to the router because of the distance,
So I just want to buy another but if I can use the satellite from another combo, then it's cheaper.

That's all.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7