Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice on the Orbi vs Linksys Velop

LeeG20
Aspirant

Advice on the Orbi vs Linksys Velop

I'm looking to this group to provide some honest feedback on the Orbi, please.

I currently use a 4 node Linksys Velop (in bridge mode connected to a C7100V modem for Xfinity voice and data service). I need to reboot the Linksys nodes almost everyday in order to get great wireless speed (300 Mbps in the main room and 100-200 elsewhere). If they don't get constantly rebooted (once every day or two) the service degrades significantly. It's really frustrating.

I've read good things about Orbi, but before I would switch, I want to understand if the expereinces over here are close or similiar? Would an Orbi provide me with a better experience?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Advice on the Orbi vs Linksys Velop

If you use the C7100 modem as your main host router, then you would want to use the Orbi in AP mode. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
For Orbi, 30 feet is recommended in between router and satellites to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 4
LeeG20
Aspirant

My house is two floors and 3,500 sq' with some thick walls and metal beams here and there. The modem/cable comes into one of the corners of the house. Not super easy to set up a wireless network.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement will be key to any wifi systm to work well. You'll have to try Orbi out and see how it does for you.

Having the RBR at one end of the home and the RBS at the opposite end should work. Distance you'll have to play with to see how the RBS works with the building materials that are in the home.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7