Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Am I able to force my orbi to put my phone on the 2.4 only and not allow it on 5.0?

Reececm02
Aspirant

Am I able to force my orbi to put my phone on the 2.4 only and not allow it on 5.0?

I have 2.4 and 5.0 avilable. Mose things in my home connect to 2.5 but my phone always goes to 5.0. Is there a setting that will allow me to tell orbi to only let my phone onto the 2.5 network? Sry if this seems a simple question. Please barny style all answers for me. Thanks a bunch.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Am I able to force my orbi to put my phone on the 2.4 only and not allow it on 5.0?

Why do you want to control this? If there is a setting it's not on the orbi it's the phone that controls what it prefers to connect to and what is in range.

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Am I able to force my orbi to put my phone on the 2.4 only and not allow it on 5.0?

The fact that the Orbi places your phone on 5g is because it determines that is the best choice based on proximity to the signal.  As you move through your home it may change freqs.  5G works better up close. 

I had a device that had to be installed through my phone to the 2.4 side.  I had to reduce the 5G power to 25% and unplug one of the Sats.  Once the device was connect throught the phone I put everything back to it's original state. 

There has been some discussion on this forum about how to break the 2 Orbi SSIDs out.  Search for it.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 8
Reececm02
Aspirant

I want to control it because my harmony home remote hub only works on 2.4 and my bose soundtouch only works on 2.4. Boh of these are controlled via apps on my phone but they have to be on the same network. Neither of these apps are working because the phone is not on the ame networ. The hub controls my home automation so I would be using itfairly often if I could get it to work. Often enough that I would be ok just being on 2.4 all the time on my phone.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
timch
Luminary

My iphone talks happily to my Harmony Hub when connected on 5Ghz, as they are all on the same network.  The only way I can think off for it not to work is if you have some other Wi-Fi other than the Orbi providing a 2.4 connection to a different network, perhaps on your modem??

Message 5 of 8
Reececm02
Aspirant

When I look on the orbi app it tells me my hub is on 2.4 and my phone is on 5.0. I called harmony and they said the harmony home hub and extender inly worl on 2.4. U do not know how to get the hub to connect to the 5.0 through the orbi. They are sitting less than 5 feet from each other so i know distance from the 5.0 is not the issue. Is there a setting that you used to get the hub to use orbis 5.0?
Message 6 of 8
Reececm02
Aspirant

When I look on the orbi app it tells me my hub is on 2.4 and my phone is on 5.0. I called harmony and they said the harmony home hub and extender inly worl on 2.4. U do not know how to get the hub to connect to the 5.0 through the orbi. They are sitting less than 5 feet from each other so i know distance from the 5.0 is not the issue. Is there a setting that you used to get the hub to use orbis 5.0?
Message 7 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

By design, Harmony is a 2.4-only device, so it will always connect on 2.4 - it's not possible for it to connect on 5.  My iPhone always connects on 5, and it can communicate with my Harmony Hub with no issues at all - I've been doing using the two together that way for years now with various routers (Linksys, Asus, and now Orbi).

As long as both are on the same overall wifi network, they'll be able to connect to each other.  Your phone can be on either 2.4 or 5, but it doesn't have to be on 2.4 in order to work

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7