Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android connectivity issue on Pixel

YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Android connectivity issue on Pixel

I am facing strange issue with my Orbi wifi connection on Google Pixel 3 XL. Pixel connects to wifi and i can browse with chrome but apps are not connecting to internet. When I connecct mobile data it is working fine no issue.  I tried connecting to several other wifi and it works fine no issue. 

any help in solving this mystery is appreciated. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Using any custome DNS on the Orbi router or letting it detect DNS from ISP? 

Is this the only device that exhibits this problem? 

@YP wrote:

I am facing strange issue with my Orbi wifi connection on Google Pixel 3 XL. Pixel connects to wifi and i can browse with chrome but apps are not connecting to internet. When I connecct mobile data it is working fine no issue.  I tried connecting to several other wifi and it works fine no issue. 

any help in solving this mystery is appreciated. 

Message 2 of 15
YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

My RBK50 is on V2.2.1.210. I have Verizon on the connected to my orbi. There is no modem in between.

I changed dns to Google dns yesterday and still same issue.

It is happening only on pixel 3 xl.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact Google about this and let them know what your seeing and that this is the only device giving a problem with the Orbi. 

Message 4 of 15
YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Google support asked to factory reset and try out. I did 4 time factory reset. Now they are saying it is Netgear issue. So disappointing to see this from Google.
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You tell them this is the only device doing this? 

Possible wifi problem between this device and orbi. 

Is the Google device updated fully?

What happens if you temporarily disable WPA security on the Orbi and connect the Google device and test? Apps get any internet? 

After trying this, set back to WPA2 and AES only and test. 

Can try this and see if this helps any:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 6 of 15
YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try it out and will post results. Thank you so much for quick response.
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried all given options. None of them worked. Matter of fact it caused issue with Netflix TiVo and streaming services. Even without encryption no luck.

I got another mesh router and it is working on there. Totally clueless why orbi and pixel 3xl . I wish there is a log which I can see to make some sense
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can contat NG support and have them review this thread. Not much else we can do here. Sounds like Orbi is not fully compatible with this particular device.

@Blanca_O

Message 10 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @YP 

What is the android version of Google Pixel 3 XL? What is the behavior when you open an app? Is there an error message? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 11 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @YP

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 15
YP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Blanca

I am on Android 9.0. apps are not able to connect to the internet. They just throw error message that check internet connection.

I do need help. I am at the point where I can not return phone or can not return my orbi.
Message 13 of 15
pxpioneer
Tutor

Hi YP,

I have the same issue in my Pixel XL first gen.

Do you have other Android devices on Pie or are they previous versions of Android?

My big issue is an app for my fireplace (yeah, first world problems). The developers of the App have not updated to support Pie so the app itself cannot detect the WiFi state from the phone. I contacted the developers which seem to be 2 guys in China and they've admitted the fault.

Your situation may be different, but thought I'd share my issue.

I'm still very angry with NG over the Orbi Firmware and the other issues, but this may not be on them. The Google support team is very long but generally unsophisticated at the first 2 tiers and will blame anyone they can.

Good luck.
Message 14 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @YP

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7