Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another smart plug question

bolingde
Guide

Another smart plug question

I have a smart plug and like most it only works at 2 4G. Yes it seems like it should work with the 2.4 channel on the orbi but it doesn't, because the Smart Life app states "it will only work on 2.4g networks". When I turned on the 2.4 and connected my phone to it worked fine. I'm thinking that the smart plug may only see the 2.4 but the phone(with the app) is on the 5g network. It seems like when I first had it set up (I've moved) the orbi would let you have a 2.4 guest network or something (I needed that because the orbi and samsung was having problems) and way I don't see that option or any other way to have the plug and app on the same network. Would like to hear suggestions.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Another smart plug question

What FW is currently loaded?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try setting WPA2 and AES only or try WPA and Auto. 

Try disabling WMM as well and see.
Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
v210 Daisy chain fixed:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-doesn-t-work-with-Chromecast-Please-help/m-p/1652882/high...

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 4
bolingde
Guide

Thanks but that sounds like lot of configuration for something that may/may not work for 5 minutes and may break something else work. BTW, FW is up to date and I changed the channel to 1 and neither worked. It really seems like an underlying problem with mesh networks (at least orbi). Everyone is using smart home devices and if netgear can't come out with a simplified solution I think it will be the death nail for the orbi.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the suggestions. Others have been able to get some working. 

Not all smart devices are compatible with MESH systems as well. You should contact the Mfr of the device to ask about this. 

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7