Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone know?

Tulpy
Aspirant

Anyone know?

I have Orbi RBK53. It wasn't a problem for me. Yet. Can explain if needed.

What I read online, is that if connecting say Simplisafe 2.4ghz cameras or ioT devices with mesh single SSID. Etc.

It's said that you have to force your phone in various ways to be connected to the 2.4ghz band to be successful, walk far away from the router etc.

Any truth to that? Why would the cameras scanning a QR code on your 5ghz connected phone matter which band it's on?

Does a 2.4 camera or device scanning a QR code with a phone on 5ghz band somehow read garbage info? I assume it's just picking up router login info.

A friend has the issue with his mesh. Has been scanning on 5ghz, the cameras do connect to the Simplisafe system, but continuously drop in and out, no video and strong speed is there and low Dbm like -32. He can seperate his SSID presumably and has a guest 2.4 but was still 5 on his phone.

Mostly asking to understand what's happening in those circumstances if anyone might know?

Any input appreciated.
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Anyone know?

@Tulpy wrote:

What I read online, is that if connecting say Simplisafe 2.4ghz cameras or ioT devices with mesh single SSID. Etc.

It's said that you have to force your phone in various ways to be connected to the 2.4ghz band to be successful, walk far away from the router etc.

Any truth to that? Why would the cameras scanning a QR code on your 5ghz connected phone matter which band it's on?

Does a 2.4 camera or device scanning a QR code with a phone on 5ghz band somehow read garbage info? I assume it's just picking up router login info.

A friend has the issue with his mesh. Has been scanning on 5ghz, the cameras do connect to the Simplisafe system, but continuously drop in and out, no video and strong speed is there and low Dbm like -32. He can seperate his SSID presumably and has a guest 2.4 but was still 5 on his phone.

Mostly asking to understand what's happening in those circumstances if anyone might know?

Any input appreciated.

IoT devices and their communication capability vary significantly by type, make, and model.  In general, if your IoT device connects to the 2.4 GHz band, the mobile device where you are running the IoT configuration application also has to be connected to the 2.4 GHz band.  A situation complicated by mesh systems with a single SSID.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: Anyone know?

@Tulpy wrote:

Any input appreciated.

IoT devices and their communication capability vary significantly by type, make, and model.  In general, if your IoT device connects to the 2.4 GHz band, the mobile device where you are running the IoT configuration application also has to be connected to the 2.4 GHz band.  A situation complicated by mesh systems with a single SSID.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7