Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple computer Ethernet connection problems with Orbi

Apple computer Ethernet connection problems with Orbi

I have been seeing issues for a long time now with the Netgear Orbi RBR50 and Apple Ethernet ports connecting upon boot up.

Even setting a Manual IP address over DHCP causes the connection to completely disconnect whenever I need to reboot the computer.

I have to go into Network Settings and Renew DHCP Lease before it finally connects.

This has been going on with 2 different Apple Computers (Both Intel and Mac Silicon based). 

Anyone else seeing these issues or have a possible solution?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware is on the orbi? 

2. what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

3. is the mac connected to the router or to the satellite? 

4. have you tried setting a reserved IP address for the mac? 

Message 2 of 8
Jeffgear
Luminary

I have a MacBook Pro m1 and RBR50 connected via a 2m Ethernet and set to DHCP. No connectivity issues. I use the Belkin USBC to Ethernet dongle. I also have an Alogic Ethernet and 3x USB dongle and that's been reliable. 

go for fully DHCP each side unless you really need a static IP then configure static both sides but don't mix static or hard coded IP one end and DHCP the other. 

Also try a new cable as it could be suspect. 

Message 3 of 8

1. Current Firmware version is 2.7.4.24. This is NOT inclusive to 1 person firmware version as I've had several updates and they all exhibit the same problem.

2. The router is connected up to an AT&T gateway. It's DHCP has long since been disabled and was set to a separate subnet prior to.

3. Connected directly to the router

4. I have set a reserved IP address on it as well. This did not change the symptoms.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Att gateways at notorious for issues. 

Have you tried putting it (the att device) in router mode,disable its wifi, and put the netgears ip address into its dmz? 

Or even with the att in router mode (wifi disabled) put the netgear in access point mode?

Message 5 of 8

Yes I'm fully aware of the issues AT&T Routers can cause. I have long since disabled the wifi and put it in router mode and it is on another entirely different subnet.

Someone else suggested switching cables I may have to look into doing that. Not sure what else would be causing it and besides the router itself it is the only other constant. 

Message 6 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @HazardousTim ,

I understand that you are having connectivity issues with your Apple computer. Compatibility issues can occur when the "private relay" is active on your Apple computer. Please disable "Private Relay" on your Apple computer. 

Let me know if this issue persists after the proposed solution has been implemented!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team 

Message 7 of 8

@KevinLiT 

Hey Kevin thank you but Private Relay is already disabled.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7