Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Performance for Ring Devices (Orbi Config. Settings)

FURRYe38
Guru

Message 51 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@Wizec, having WMM disabled should not kill speed like some users have also mentioned. I'm unsure as to why some experience it and some don't. Having the setting enabled or disabled does not affect my speed whatsoever. I have had zero issues with my current configuration, no drops, no speed reduction, etc. All of my Ring devices function as they were intended to do so as well. If I didn't have Ring, I would for sure leave it enabled as it does slightly help keep speed consistent, but the disabling of the setting should never drastically reduce the speed.

Message 52 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@Rrgirgis, while your solution would indeed work, it shouldn't be needed for as powerful and capable the Orbi is. I have had no problems whatsoever with my configuration that I mentioned earlier and have been going on two months now with my Ring devices stable. I also have no network drops and/or speed reductions after disabling WMM and enabling/disabling other necessary settings to get the Ring devices to function correctly...

Message 53 of 73
Rrgirgis
Star

hey, sorry for the late response, but i did not restore from a saved backup as i didnt want any old information rewritten. one thing i did do after telnet was to go to each device and do a hard reset with the pin button and then re setup the router and skip the SAT during the initial setup.
Message 54 of 73
jabate37
Aspirant

Just wanted to chime in on this.  I too was having really bad issues with Live View not working good at all, I have the ring devices shown below and the doorbell worked fine for live view 95 percent of the time and other cameras would not work hardly ever. 

I followed the instructions in this article to get the best performance and have narrowed down the exact setting for me. under Advanced Settings, WIFI Settings.  I disabled WMM under each channel and immediatly fixed the issue with live view worked every time.  However, When i disabled this on both channel my wifi speed went from 400mbps to about 15-40mbps terrible... SO my work arround was on the 2.4ghz channel i disabled WMM, which is what the two spot light cameras are on, and my 5ghz i left it on so i could get regular speed.  So far this has worked out well for me.  Not sure why disabling WMM on the 5ghz crippled the connection so bad though. 

Ring Doorbell Pro (5ghz, WMM enabled) Live view still worked and kept my speed regular. 

2 Ring Spotlight cams Battery ( 2.4ghz) WMM Disabled. Live View works

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 55 of 73
the_big_v
Aspirant

Just signed up to say thanks!
Followed the instructions and everything has been stable since. Not just the ring cans either. Overall performance seems a lot better.

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 56 of 73
jabate37
Aspirant

@the_big_v , After following the instructions in this forum, it worked for a bit then stopped.  I found another workarround that seems to be working.   Also if I disabled WMM on the 5ghz it would cripple my network speed, below is something else I tried that seems to be working. 

* Keep 2.4ghz WMM disabled, But enable the guest network, giving it a slightly different SSID.  Then under the guest settings uncheck the option " Allow guest to see each other and access my local network" then give it a strong password.

I like this option because its technicaly more secure by keeping all your cameras on a seperate network without access to local network, on this setting if you connect to it with a laptop you wouldnt be able to ping the router or any other device in the network.  So far it seems to be working out good . May want to give that a shot. 

Message 57 of 73
wonderfrog
Initiate

works like a dream, thank you so much.  i did not need to add the ip range to make this work.

@DorkiOrbiFW 

Message 58 of 73
Crquixote
Aspirant

Since it worked ‘like a charm’ can you share the exact steps you followed? Thx!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 59 of 73
Ih8un
Initiate

@DorkiOrbiFW
I used your settings, but started at #6 because I didn't want to spend hours figuring out how to telnet into the device.

With your settings my 2 ring spotlight (battery) and my Ring Doorbell 2 (battery) have been working almost flawlessly. Prior to changing the settings I had the same issue with live view as everyone else, and only could open the motion notifications if they came in.

I'm not sure if any of the settings have played a role in the fact that no devices seem to connect to the satellite and only the router. My RSSI is pretty good on my Ring devices with my Doorbell with the worst RSSI sitting at -56 which is still great. However, I was hoping it will connect to the satellite as it's closer to the doorbell than the router.

Thanks for the settings and thanks for sharing them. Hopefully, many people will come across your fix. If only there's some way to formalise it so that both Ring and Netgear can use these settings to troubleshoot any customers who won't come past this thread.
Message 60 of 73
wonderfrog
Initiate

I did it all exactly as written but skipped this step :

Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup
Set a static IP address for EACH Ring device on your network
Don't know how? Follow the directions here: How to Reserve IP Address for Devices on Router
Hit APPLY (light blue button) to save your changes for that area of the new configuration. Once done, continue on to the rest of the configuration.
Message 61 of 73
rosey99
Tutor

@DorkiOrbiFW , thanks so much for your efforts!!   I have found some interesting things with this WMM thing.  For me, disabling WMM does indeed make the 'link' speed reported in the Orbi app go way way down.  Previously everything was typically well into the hundreds (my Sony TV right next to the Satellite is currently at 866 Mbps with WMM on!) but if I disable WMM, it goes to 54Mbps max.  My Galaxy Note10+ which 5 minutes ago was showing 858 Mbps link speed and speed tested at 117 Mbps (my internet is only 100 Mbps)  is now showing 15 Mbps and speed testing at   13.9Mbps.  I'm an IT guy and I have zero clue what is going on.  Obviously I can't disable WMM as those speeds are obviously something that is not useable.  

Your original fix worked for me for about 3 days, then suddenly stopped working for Live View on my Ring Doorbell.  To be up front, I have NOT done your 2nd set of steps to reset everything (but have enabled beam forming and fast roaming), so I'm going to do that next, but I'm curious if others who also saw a giant decline in speed with WMM disabled did the reset process.  If they have and still have the speed decline, I won't bother with the reset since I can't disable WMM.  I do still have my old Asus 'dark knight' ac1900 so if worst comes to worst, I will set that up as an access point and then connect my ring doorbell to it and be done with this mess.  I sure hope I can connect my yet to be installed Ring Alarm System to it as well because that can't have connectivity issues.  I just wish someone could figure out what is going on with the WMM.  

Anyway, despite the ongoing issues with WMM for some, I do thank you for all the work you've done and help you've given.  Glad it was helpful to so many.

Message 62 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@rosey99 wrote:

@DorkiOrbiFW , thanks so much for your efforts!!   I have found some interesting things with this WMM thing.  For me, disabling WMM does indeed make the 'link' speed reported in the Orbi app go way way down.  Previously everything was typically well into the hundreds (my Sony TV right next to the Satellite is currently at 866 Mbps with WMM on!) but if I disable WMM, it goes to 54Mbps max.  My Galaxy Note10+ which 5 minutes ago was showing 858 Mbps link speed and speed tested at 117 Mbps (my internet is only 100 Mbps)  is now showing 15 Mbps and speed testing at   13.9Mbps.  I'm an IT guy and I have zero clue what is going on.  Obviously I can't disable WMM as those speeds are obviously something that is not useable.  

Your original fix worked for me for about 3 days, then suddenly stopped working for Live View on my Ring Doorbell.  To be up front, I have NOT done your 2nd set of steps to reset everything (but have enabled beam forming and fast roaming), so I'm going to do that next, but I'm curious if others who also saw a giant decline in speed with WMM disabled did the reset process.  If they have and still have the speed decline, I won't bother with the reset since I can't disable WMM.  I do still have my old Asus 'dark knight' ac1900 so if worst comes to worst, I will set that up as an access point and then connect my ring doorbell to it and be done with this mess.  I sure hope I can connect my yet to be installed Ring Alarm System to it as well because that can't have connectivity issues.  I just wish someone could figure out what is going on with the WMM.  

Anyway, despite the ongoing issues with WMM for some, I do thank you for all the work you've done and help you've given.  Glad it was helpful to so many.

I don't understand why some experience problems when disabling WMM. I haven't seen any issues on my system and my Rings have been working flawlessly for a few months from writing this solution. I'm an IT guy too, so I have vast knowledge of Orbi, networking, etc. Glad you and others found my solution helpful, but I'm open if someone can improve upon it and/or figure out that pesky WMM issue. My hunch is that it is a bug within the latest firmware.

Best,

Message 63 of 73
Fraterp
Aspirant

@TheOrbiMechanic , I've followed your instructions below to the letter. Ring spotlight cameras seemed to work but overall internet speed dropped to 20-25mbits on a gigabit connection. The only way to restore speed is to enable WMM on both 2.4 and 5 Ghtz. The minute I did this, ring camera connection issues came back almost immediately. Also, I'd thought I'd mention that I'm on firmware V2.3.5.36

Thoughts?

Message 64 of 73
Fraterp
Aspirant

It seems that I didn't read all of the replies on this topic... oops. I see the comments on the WMM issues so I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any luck resolving? I called ring and they told me that the eero is the only mesh network that will work with the spotlight cameras. I really have no desire to spend another several hundred $ to try it out. Seems like some people have had issues as well.
Message 65 of 73
rosey99
Tutor

I was wondering if it worked with eero and figured yes. That answers that question. Go figure since Amazon owns EERO and Ring. Maybe a purposeful bug in Ring?? Would not shock me in the least. Amazon is known for these types of antics when dealing with a major competitor. Don't expect it to ever get fixed is my guess. The only way will be if we figure out why WMM doesn't cripple speed for some or if Netgear figures a way around the issue without hurting speed. For now I'm going to use my Asus as an access point and see if that fixes the situation.
Message 66 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@rosey99 wrote:
I was wondering if it worked with eero and figured yes. That answers that question. Go figure since Amazon owns EERO and Ring. Maybe a purposeful bug in Ring?? Would not shock me in the least. Amazon is known for these types of antics when dealing with a major competitor. Don't expect it to ever get fixed is my guess. The only way will be if we figure out why WMM doesn't cripple speed for some or if Netgear figures a way around the issue without hurting speed. For now I'm going to use my Asus as an access point and see if that fixes the situation.

These issues occur on ANY mesh system (there is also a bunch of forums for Ubiquiti Amplifi users with Ring). It will happen on EERO as well. The Ring devices have a hard time understanding mesh networks (though I haven't had much problems and when I did, I solved it with these settings). While it may be a forced bug, I'm leaning towards it not being one. A high level Ring advisor told me this (and as I come from a background in IT, this is true), "With Ring always updating firmware along with Netgear), it does make it hard sometimes to pinpoint who the culprit really is". However, I have told Ring repeatedly it is on there end, but is anything done about it? NOPE! They just sit on their ass and give the generic answers of restart your router or replacement options. Though, when I reached a high level advisor, we tried rolling back firmware, and my issue at one point still remained. It was not until I changed my setttings around that things were fixed. Orbi or Ring? Could be both, but I'd lean towards Ring more. At one point in time, settings didn't matter on my Orbi and ALL of my Ring devices worked flawlessly. It wasn't until my actual Ring devices updated their firmware (come to think of it around the time Amazon acquired them) that it forced me to find a solution. I have no idea why some have problems with WMM with this, however. 

On another note, I do want to mention that the Ring devices will sometimes reconnect automatically back to the network using a farther away satellite. It is recommended to reconnect them manually after a reboot of the network. Additionally, I have had success sometimes performing a hard reset on the Ring devices for them to stay up permanently, however I'm not going to guarantee this will fix things.

I will keep researching and let you know if I find something. I haven't had any issues with speed and connectivity for 2.5 months straight.

Best,

Message 67 of 73
rosey99
Tutor

Thanks OrbiMechanic.  Yep I too have some real world IT experience dealing with Amazon...they aren't fixing it unless they have to and it helps them financially.  I too think it's an issue on their side since as you said, it is happening on more than just Orbi.  Also, if indeed the issue still happens on EERO as you think it might and their support is telling people that this only works reliably in EERO that is incredibly irresponsible and maybe more by Amazon.  Who knows though if that CSR was supposed to say that.  Also, who knows, maybe they do know it works reliably on EERO since they own both and you would think if they did test on a mesh system, that would have to be the one. 

Anyway, thanks for the help and hopefully we can at least find out why WMM cripples speed for many.  If we can figure that out (obviously there has to be a setting or real reason) then we can get around this problem and any possible shenanigans Amazon may or may  not be up to.

Message 68 of 73
Techbob
Aspirant

You hit the nail on the head

I have enough satellites for good coverage of our home, and specifically my issue is what you said. Ring devices randomly disconnect from the closest satellite and reconnect to the furthest one.

I have not yet bit the bullet to reconfigure with the recommendations.

Ps for what it is worth ring devices do the same thing if you are unfortunate enough to have tried to use more than one Chime Pro for a “Chime Pro Network “

I wish Ring could learn from Sonos, how the Sonosnet works, as well as how Zwave works.
Message 69 of 73
Fraterp
Aspirant

I found a hidden QOS menu in the router: http://routerlogin.net/QOS_main.htm

Any suggestions for what we might want to try? 

Message 70 of 73
rosey99
Tutor

I tried adding the RING MAC address has highest priority to the QoS rules but anything you do get this error:

400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

The only way I could get to this menu was by using:  orbilogin.com/QOS_rule.htm

Maybe there is another way?  I'm not even sure what will help.  Maybe @DorkiOrbiFW has an idea about it.

UPDATE:  I got in using routerlogin.net/QOS_main.htm but still get the error no matter what I do.  Must not be a functioning menu.

Message 71 of 73
runrun411
Aspirant

Gonna try this but what will that do for all the other wifi devices in the house?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 72 of 73
Stallion69
Tutor

Hello my friend.  I have an ORBI Tri-Band Router consisting of 1 router and 2 satellites within my network map.

The router is located in the basement and the two satellites are located on opposite ends of the first floor.  My Ring Doorbell 2 is located literraly 10ft from one of my satellites.  When I click on my orbi app and click on the ORBI Picture on my smart phone it shows you the Network Map picture. WHen i click on the RBR50 Router picture, it shows the ring doorbell connecting to it.  NOt sure why it won't connect to one of the satellites on my first floor.  Weird and frustrating. IMG_3778.PNGUntitled.jpg 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 73 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7