Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Practice for RBK50 Router and satellite

VFMass
Aspirant

Best Practice for RBK50 Router and satellite

I just purchased the RBK50 WiFi router and single satellite extender. I still have dead zones as our business is 12,000 sq/ft on a single level. I currently have the router in a central location and the satellite extender within wifi range in one direction.

Question 1: Is it better to have it further away and connected by ethernet (5e connected via gigabit switch)?

I am most likely going to purchase a second satellite to extend the range.

Question 2: Can a satellite wirelessly piggyback off of the other wireless satellite or can it only connect to the router (as opposed to the satellite)? And/or, should it be hardwired to the satellite (or router) for better connectivity?

Thanks. I wish that Orbi had better documentation for best practices in setting up the network.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Best Practice for RBK50 Router and satellite

@VFMass wrote:

I just purchased the RBK50 WiFi router and single satellite extender. I still have dead zones as our business is 12,000 sq/ft on a single level. I currently have the router in a central location and the satellite extender within wifi range in one direction.

Question 1: Is it better to have it further away and connected by ethernet (5e connected via gigabit switch)?

Question 2: Can a satellite wirelessly piggyback off of the other wireless satellite or can it only connect to the router (as opposed to the satellite)? And/or, should it be hardwired to the satellite (or router) for better connectivity?

Thanks. I wish that Orbi had better documentation for best practices in setting up the network.

The Orbi's can daisy chain. Which means satellites can connect to each other.  So it'd go RBR50---RBS50---RBS50

If you have the option of a wired backhaul, I'd use it. I have all my satellites hardwired in and my orbi setup works great. 

the distance issue is one you can play with a little. Basically they need to be at least 30 ft apart. After that its a matter of spreading them out until you start seeing a decrease in performance. This can changed based up on objects in the area so its something you need to play with. 

Message 2 of 5
VFMass
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

@VFMass wrote:

The Orbi's can daisy chain. Which means satellites can connect to each other.  So it'd go RBR50---RBS50---RBS50

If you have the option of a wired backhaul, I'd use it. I have all my satellites hardwired in and my orbi setup works great. 

// So, I could simply add an additional satellite to wirelessly connect to the other satellite. For a wired backhaul, it's OK to connect with switches in between or does it need to be cat 5e directly between RBR50/RBS50 or RBS50/RBS50?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

// So, I could simply add an additional satellite to wirelessly connect to the other satellite. For a wired backhaul, it's OK to connect with switches in between or does it need to be cat 5e directly between RBR50/RBS50 or RBS50/RBS50?

Yes you can add an additional satellite and it'll daisy chain back to the main router. 

You can add switches in between Orbi's for connection. I've got a managed switch that was plug and play but some have reported issues with green switches or managed switches. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

12000 square feet is quite a bit of area to cover. I know the business class orbi's don't hit 12000 square feet until you get to the 5 pack of them. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7