Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Wifi option for my house

Laurent1630
Aspirant

Best Wifi option for my house

Hello,

I want to install a full wifi coverage in my house and I don't know what is the best device folr me.

I have a 3 floors house with a wired network in almost all the room. What I want is an unique wifi coverage (1 pwd, 1 SSID) and always the best possible connection. Acutally I hafv 3 antenna with different SSID and when I leave a floor, I let connected to the "wrong" network.

I'm thinking about Orbi RBK20 but as the router and satellite communicates with wireless tecnology, I'm not sure that's the best option.

Any advise for me?

thanks in advance

Laurent

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

I would start here:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

3 floor house, you may need a 50 series. I have a 40 series with just one base and just one satellite, two floors, 5000sq ft home, base upstairs at one end and the satellite downstairs at the other end 40 feet in between them. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the current ISP modem your using?

@Laurent1630 wrote:

Hello,

I want to install a full wifi coverage in my house and I don't know what is the best device folr me.

I have a 3 floors house with a wired network in almost all the room. What I want is an unique wifi coverage (1 pwd, 1 SSID) and always the best possible connection. Acutally I hafv 3 antenna with different SSID and when I leave a floor, I let connected to the "wrong" network.

I'm thinking about Orbi RBK20 but as the router and satellite communicates with wireless tecnology, I'm not sure that's the best option.

Any advise for me?

thanks in advance

Laurent

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

The RBk50's can link via ethernet. I setup my 3 story house with a RBR50 on the main floor and then a RBS50 on the upstairs and downstairs. They're all hooked up via ethernet. I get full gigabit speeds if I hardwire into any of the satellites. It does have the option to fallback to the wireless backhaul if the ethernet fails for some reason. If you're looking for the best device with one SSID, I'd go this route. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, not only 50 series, however 20 and 40 series Orbi system can connect satellites via wired ethernet as well. 

Message 4 of 9
Laurent1630
Aspirant

Thanks guys for your answers, you're a great community and it really helps but...

I'm still not sure what I need. ORBI is definitively the choice, now  the question about the model.

My house is about 750 square foot (70 m2) by floor, 3 floors. My idea is to install the base in the basement (where is the router) and then, a satellite on the ground and 1st floor. If they are linked with Ethernet, I think that a RBK20 could be enough. The difference of price between 20 and 50 is quite important and even if I want a good solution, I won’t pay twice for a 10% gain.

Sorry for the typo and english mistakes, I'm a french speaker from Switzerland ;o)

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If ethernet connected, the 20 series should be good for your size of home. 

I would try to make the Orbi base on the main floor if possible for best wifi singal propagation. Basements are not idea and concrete materials can cause singal problems. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would try to make the Orbi base on the main floor if possible for best wifi singal propagation. Basements are not idea and concrete materials can cause singal problems. 

Agreed with this. Between concrete in basements and HVAC ducting there are plenty more signal issues in a basement. Shoot for the main floor with the main unit and hardwire the rest if possible. 

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Smiley Wink

@plemans wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Agreed with this. Between concrete in basements and HVAC ducting there are plenty more signal issues in a basement. Shoot for the main floor with the main unit and hardwire the rest if possible. 

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Salut @Laurent1630 

Do you plan to run IGMP Multicast based IPTV (as supplied by Swisscom or Sunrise for example) to your in-house network? Here Orbi might be a show stopper - lack of IGMP snooping support.

My advise will go towards sticking with the ISP supplied router, add network cables to each floor where you intend to place one or multiple wireless access points - along with additional set of cable for NAS, fast computer, IPTV boxes [avoid wireless!]. Go for some small Netgear Insight switch like a GC110P (or it's rack mounted GC510P sibling) much less expensive than an Orbi base, in case you plan some NAS think about a GC728XP. For the wireless access point some basic WAC505 do the job (available in kits of three or five - very affordable) or the more expensive and capable WAC540 (abut the same price like a good Orbi satellite each).

Similar set-up runs like a charm in s similar sized house here near Zurich - you will never look back to Orbi or consumer routers. Promised.

Salutations,

-Kurt

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7