Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bizarre! Orbi sort-of loses configuration and won't let me log in

AzJazz
Apprentice

Bizarre! Orbi sort-of loses configuration and won't let me log in

I just ran into a bizarre problem with my Orbi system this morning.

My router/satellite are running v1.4.0.34. My main PC is running Win10x64.

My ISP was doing work in my area, and my internet connection was going in and out for a few hours.

When I reset my cable modem after the ISP work was done, my internet connection was not working. So, I reset power to my Orbi router to clean things up.

And ... this is where things got weird ...

Our internet connection didn't recover, so I decided to go to the Orbi configuration to see what was going on.

I was able to connect once, and the Orbi status screen had a big red bar saying that there wasn't an internet connection.

I decided to reset the cable modem and the Orbi again.

Some of the stuff on my started to connect to the internet after this reset. However, when I tried going to the Orbi configuration page, it kept telling me that my username/password was invalid.

The Orbi eventually went to the password recovery screen where I was prompted with my two personal questions. I answered the questions correctly, and the Orbi brought up a screen that showed the access password ... which was the exact same as the password I was already typing in! After the Orbi brought up the password recovery screen, I was prompted to log in again ... And again, it failed!

I even copied and tried the password that was shown on the recovery screen, and that didn't work, either.

I did a hard reset with the pinhole. When the Orbi powered up, it said that it was changing my IP address to 10.0.0.1 to prevent a conflict with my ISP. (YUK!)

Again, when the Orbi powered up, it said that it didn't have internet connection, though this time I knew my ISP was working properly.

I reset the cable modem and Orbi again, and this time the internet connected, I loaded a previously saved v1.4.0.34 Orbi backup configuration, and the router seemed to be working fine. My devices were connecting with the right IP address, and everything seemed to be connecting to the internet.

Once again, I tried logging into the Orbi configuration page, and I was told again that my username / password was invalid.

What the heck. This is insane.

I did a soft reset this time with the pinhole, and now everything seems to be OK. I have logged into the Orbi a few times now, and I think I'm back to normal.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Bizarre! Orbi sort-of loses configuration and won't let me log in

Hello AzJazz

Glad to hear a reset fixed the issue but let us know if something else comes up.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
AzJazz
Apprentice

Hi, @DarrenM - I still run into this problem randomly, and it takes a really long time to get the Orbi functional again. I have seen this occur about a dozen times since I last posted

It happened to me again this morning. I was working on my PC this morning, and then suddenly ... BAM!! ... Nobody could connect to the WiFi in my house. I tried to go to the Orbi settings, and I kept getting prompted for my Username/Password. Eventually, I was asked for the Serial Number on the Orbi base. I was told that the LAN and Orbi Router IP address was automatically reconfigured to 10.0.0.1 "for my protection" (from 192.168.0.1). My main PC has a hard wire connection to the router, so I was eventually able to get it running again.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? If it happens when I am out of town, I won't be able reconfigure it remotely. My wife will probably divorce me.

Please save my marriage.

AzJazz

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Azjazz

You may want to back up your config and do a factory reset the last update was a big one and changed alot of things.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 8
AzJazz
Apprentice

Hi, @DarrenM - I already have the latest firmware version installed (v1.12.0.18)

Are you saying that I need to wipe out all my current settings and reconfigure from scratch?

If "Yes", will I also have to wipe out my Orbi Satellite?

BTW, is the problem I am describing in this thread a known Orbi issue? One thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur when my ISP goes dead for a while.

Thanks,

AzJazz

Message 5 of 8
AniDutta
Apprentice

@DarrenM: This happened to me too. This morning suddenly none of my devices would connect to wifi. Even hard wired devices connected to Orbi router wasn't working. Comcast wasn't down. I tried power cycle the Orbi to no help. Ultimately I factory reset and restored settings from backup config! This is second time this happened with most current firmware.
Message 6 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello AzJazz

Yes that is what I am saying you can back up your config before doing this if you want to try and reload it.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 8
Swimmerbird123
Aspirant

This happened to me just the other day too, and since then my logs are almost empty.  I've had my Orbi RBK50 for a few weeks now, and It worked well at first.  I was getting a daily email of my log and it had lots of DHCP assigments and SYN/ACK scan attacks, but it looked accurate and the amount of info did not bother me at all.  On Jan 12, the log at 3::00 AM looked similar to how it was every day. Around noon on the 12th, I had no internet connection on any device and when I tried to log in to the Orbi I received the 'can't authenticate' message, and ultimately I rebooted the Router and it seemed to work OK the rest of the day.  But although the log at 3:00 AM on Jan 13 showed that initialization and the time synch, but it had no DHCP assignments at all, and just a few SYN/ACVK Scan attacks.  Then on Jan 14 (today) it had only internet connects and disconnects but no DHCP assignments and no attacks at all. 

I looked at the log page under Advanced settings and saw that all the boxes were checked, and all my devices were connecting fine.  So something has happened that has progressively and severely limited my log reporting.  I need to see the DHCP assignments since those identify any unfamiliar devices connecting.  But I can't find any way to get them back into the log as before.  My concern is that somehow the router may have been hacked and is preventing me from seeing how it is being used. 

Any help in getting my DHCP reporting back is welcome.  (yes, I have rebooted the router and had changed my login password when i first set it up.

Thanks,

Swimmer

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7