× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 Wifi constantly drops. I have an RBS50Y and it now flashes orange all the time

leedopa
Aspirant

CBR40 Wifi constantly drops. I have an RBS50Y and it now flashes orange all the time

Any device connected to the CBR40 wifi is constantly disconnecting including the outdoor satellite. Never happened before and I just crossed the 1 year mark. If I have to buy a new device may go another route

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR40 Wifi constantly drops. I have an RBS50Y and it now flashes orange all the time

Lets troubleshoot this before jumping ship. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the CBR and RBSY?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Do you have a RBS## unit as well or just the CBR or RBSY? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

Do wired connections work thru the CBR? 

Is Armor, Circle, or Traffic Meter enabled? 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 6
leedopa
Aspirant

Re: CBR40 Wifi constantly drops. I have an RBS50Y and it now flashes orange all the time

OK thanks. I have another normal satellite but did not hook it up yet. The RBS50Y is about 50ft away straight shot line of sight only a window in between the CBR40. All summer worked with no issue but now over the last month it always connects white light then goes into the amber flashing.

Another issue with the CBR40 and ORBI app is that in the app it shows my internet speed as 176Mbps with a speed test but using a phone or PC speedtest outside the orbi app shows over 400Mbps which is what it should be. I read in other forums that this is a known issue with the ORBI app. 

RBS50Y firmware V2.3.5.32.

CBR40 is now V2.5.0.24 just updated it yesterday to see if it would help and still having connection issues. 

It is not just the outdoor satellites disconnecting. both our phones, samsung note 20 ultra have intermittent wifi connection, ps5 always showing the wifi symbol and connecting intermittently...really messing with my fortnite;-), and now my work computer VPN has been falling off the last couple days.

I have rebooted several times the CBR40 is both the modem and router. I had the cable company out and they should strong signal.

Traffic meter is on. i guess i can shut that down and see what happens. Armor is expired and has been for a long while. Not sure what circle is.... No parental controls active though.

wired connections do work it is only the wifi that seems to be an issue. i tried moving it around to see but it wasn't an issue for a year so not sure how that can be. The house is 2400sqft ranch with the CBR40 in the center and most of the devices within 20ft surrounding.

Any help is appreciated. When it worked it worked great but for the price if it only lasts a year it is not worth it. especially the cost of the outdoor satellite. Still works OK when it is connected but the connection is being lost too much and the outdoor satelite is pretty much always flashing amber. I will check out the link you sent.

I will check out the link you provided. Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Might move the RBSY maybe 10 feet closer to the CBR.

You might try a full on power OFF and back ON of the CBR and RBSY. If nothing changes, then a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed on both. 

Message 4 of 6
Jarrell
Aspirant

@leedopa wrote:

Any device connected to the CBR40 wifi is constantly disconnecting including the outdoor satellite. Never happened before and I just crossed the 1 year mark. If I have to buy a new device may go another route          GarageBand

I'm having multiple issues with my new CBR40. Installed it and set it up with Spectrum as my ISP, per the Netgear instructions. For wireless phones, e.g. iPhone 7plus, the wifi seems to connect just fine but then the internet drops out constantly, like once per minute. For wireless PCs, (Toshiba Laptop, HP), the laptop will see the wifi network and connect to it but comes back with no internet connection. I have both a DirecTV box and a Samsung TV hard wired into the CBR40 and both say no connection... Not sure if all these are somehow related but this is truly maddening. I opened a case with Netgear 6 days ago and still no response...

Message 5 of 6
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone, 

Good day!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Orbi modem. 

@leedopa - We will direct message your for some details.

@Jarrell - May we have your case number?

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7