Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200/RBR40 iRobot support claims my network is infected

iamgary6
Initiate

CM1200/RBR40 iRobot support claims my network is infected

I was trying to get a roomba to connect to my wi-fi and had to call their support. I let them do some checks through my PC and they said my network is infected and I have 93 connections to my network that aren't my devices. After the call I logged into the Orbi app and it only shows 18 devices (mostly smart home stuff). Is there a way for me to confirm what the technician said? And if it's correct, how do I re-secure my modem/router?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200/RBR40 iRobot support claims my network is infected

Anytime I see anyone say "they checked through my computer", I suspect scam/con sites. 

We see it all the time where someone googles for a help number. A lot of times the results include scam/con sites phone numbers. 

And people end up giving them remote access where they say you're infected and they'll either try to sell you a virus protection service or a firewall. 

Did you give them access to your computer? (change passwords to whatever computer you gave them access to if you did)

Did you give them any credit card info? (cancel it if you did)

To get the roomba connected, you just need to make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the 2.4ghz during setup. Roomba's don't play nicely with setup if your phone isn't on the 2.4ghz (lazy coding on their part). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Anytime I see anyone say "they checked through my computer", I suspect scam/con sites. 

We see it all the time where someone googles for a help number. A lot of times the results include scam/con sites phone numbers. 

And people end up giving them remote access where they say you're infected and they'll either try to sell you a virus protection service or a firewall. 

Did you give them access to your computer? (change passwords to whatever computer you gave them access to if you did)

Did you give them any credit card info? (cancel it if you did)

To get the roomba connected, you just need to make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the 2.4ghz during setup. Roomba's don't play nicely with setup if your phone isn't on the 2.4ghz (lazy coding on their part). 

Message 2 of 3
iamgary6
Initiate

I had the same realization and I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm in the middle of changing passwords right now. Thankfully I hung up when he said he'd only be able to help for a fee so he doesn't have my cc info.

Thanks for the comment and advice!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7