Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I combine C7100V AC1900 Modem+Router with Orbi Mesh RBK53S-100NAS?

WiFeeFiFoFum
Aspirant

Can I combine C7100V AC1900 Modem+Router with Orbi Mesh RBK53S-100NAS?

I currently have Xfinity/Comcast WiFi using a Nighthawk AC1900/C7100v cable modem + router, however, because I live in a large home, the coverage falls a little short. After multiple attempts to improve coverage by changing the location of the modem/router, I want to try a mesh setup, specifically the Orbi Mesh RBK53S-100NAS (NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, with Advanced Cyber Threat Protection, 3-pack). Having suffered through AT&T WiFi for many years, I have a slightly higher Tech IQ than the average homeowner, but I'm by no means an expert, which is why I wanted to seek some assistance here.

1. Is it possible to make the C7100v play nice with the Orbi Mesh, and, if so, how? (I expect it's more difficult than simply disabling the WiFi function of the C7100v and plugging the Orbi Router into one of the LAN ports, thus allowing the Orbi Router and satellites to provide the WiFi signal on my network. That seems far too simple.)

2. If the solution involves putting the C7100v into bridge mode, please help me understand how that is accomplished, i.e., would I need to seek assistance from Xfinity tech support to accomplish this?

3. We're a Mac household that make use of Apple Home Kit to operate WeMo switches using a WeMo Hub plugged into the router. Also, we have an Arlo Pro 2 security camera system, which I was hoping would be improved by strengthening the WiFi signal of our network. Will any of these uses be negatively impacted by adding the aforementioned Orbi Mesh system to our network?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Model: C7100V-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I combine C7100V AC1900 Modem+Router with Orbi Mesh RBK53S-100NAS?

@WiFeeFiFoFum wrote:

Having suffered through AT&T WiFi for many years, I have a slightly higher Tech IQ than the average homeowner..

It shows. You have anticipated all the possible snags and pointed at the answers. You should not need to invoke outside help.

You have already highlighted the best option, put the C7100V into bridge mode. But will that mess up the Voice bit?

There's a section in the manual Set Up the Modem Router in Bridge Mode.

There is a manual for the C7100V somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7100V | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

The other option, probably the easiest, is to put the Orbi router into AP (Access Point) mode.

AP mode is pretty widely used in Orbi circles, probably because a lot of people already have routers when they buy an Orbi. AP mode does nothing to diminish the wifi performance. And unlike other routers in AP mode, the Orbi still. lets you manage the thing with an app or the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

I don't know how it will play with the WeMo Hub, but if you do go for the Orbi as router option you will probably have to reset all this peripheral stuff to factory defaults and rebuilds your network. That might be another reason for using AP mode.

The Arlo stuff I do know about, no problem. Just plug the hub into the router, it might even work plugged into an AP.

That raises a question, do you have enough LAN ports for all these wired devices? I also have a 16-port Ethernet switch on my network. (Smaller switches are available.) That too causes no problems.

Thinking about it, unless someone has reasons for not going down this road I'd go for Orbi in AP mode. Easy to set up and won't mess up your current network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@WiFeeFiFoFum wrote:

Having suffered through AT&T WiFi for many years, I have a slightly higher Tech IQ than the average homeowner..

It shows. You have anticipated all the possible snags and pointed at the answers. You should not need to invoke outside help.

You have already highlighted the best option, put the C7100V into bridge mode. But will that mess up the Voice bit?

There's a section in the manual Set Up the Modem Router in Bridge Mode.

There is a manual for the C7100V somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7100V | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

The other option, probably the easiest, is to put the Orbi router into AP (Access Point) mode.

AP mode is pretty widely used in Orbi circles, probably because a lot of people already have routers when they buy an Orbi. AP mode does nothing to diminish the wifi performance. And unlike other routers in AP mode, the Orbi still. lets you manage the thing with an app or the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

I don't know how it will play with the WeMo Hub, but if you do go for the Orbi as router option you will probably have to reset all this peripheral stuff to factory defaults and rebuilds your network. That might be another reason for using AP mode.

The Arlo stuff I do know about, no problem. Just plug the hub into the router, it might even work plugged into an AP.

That raises a question, do you have enough LAN ports for all these wired devices? I also have a 16-port Ethernet switch on my network. (Smaller switches are available.) That too causes no problems.

Thinking about it, unless someone has reasons for not going down this road I'd go for Orbi in AP mode. Easy to set up and won't mess up your current network.

Message 2 of 5
WiFeeFiFoFum
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, Michael. You've given me the confidence to proceed. Your advice confirmed all the credible sources I read online prior to posting my question. It sounds like we agree that the best way to meet the needs of my modest home-network is to let the C7100V Nighthawk AC 1900 continue to provide all router functions (and, of course, to continue serving as the cable modem + voice/phone), but to switch off the WiFi radios on that device, so that the Orbi RBK53 (in AP Mode) and its two satellites can provide my home's WiFi signal. Although the C7100V Nighthawk has served us well since we installed it six months ago, it's been unable to provide a strong signal to all floors in our four-story townhouse (despite relocating the Nighthawk several times on two different floors). A structure such as ours clearly requires a mesh system to achieve a strong WiFi signal throughout, and the Orbi in AP Mode seems the best solution. Nothing I've read suggests the Orbi will have any negative impacts on our Internet voice service. A few items I read online raised fears that Xfinity's "Hotspot" feature would create conflicts, but when I researched that matter further I learned that, because the Nighthawk is a third-party device (i.e., not provided by Xfinity), the "Hotspot" feature is disabled by default. Apparently, third-party cable modems are incapable of providing the Xfinity "Hotspot" signal. I logged into my Xfinity account to make sure this feature was not enabled and, after alot of hunting, I finally found the "Hotspot" setting option to be disabled due to my incompable, third-party cable-modem.

My only other question is this: Can I use the same network name and network password I'm currently using with the Nighthawk WiFi after I switch off the Nighthawk radios and connect the Orbi to provide my home network's WiFi (in AP Mode)? Or, does the addition/substitution of the Orbi system, even in AP Mode, necessitate the creation of a new network name and a new network password? I'd prefer to keep the same network name and network password because, as you suggested in your post, changing those would require that I return all Wemo switches to factory defaults and then to set them up all over again (in such a situation, I might even have to reset/restore all my Arlo security cameras and lights too). If resets must be done, so be it. I'll do the work, but I'd prefer to avoid returning so many devices to factory defaults as doing so would take hours.

Thank you again for your help! Best!

Model: C7100V-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@WiFeeFiFoFum wrote:

Can I use the same network name and network password I'm currently using with the Nighthawk WiFi after I switch off the Nighthawk radios and connect the Orbi to provide my home network's WiFi (in AP Mode)?

Oh my gosh, YES, set up the Orbi WiFi with exactly the same SSID and password as the Nighthawk (which you are disabling).

Message 4 of 5

@CrimpOn wrote:

@WiFeeFiFoFum wrote:

Can I use the same network name and network password I'm currently using with the Nighthawk WiFi after I switch off the Nighthawk radios and connect the Orbi to provide my home network's WiFi (in AP Mode)?

Oh my gosh, YES, set up the Orbi WiFi with exactly the same SSID and password as the Nighthawk (which you are disabling).

I didn't bother changing the Orbi's SSID, I don't have much connected to it. At first I didn't even disable the R7800 router's wifi. No ill effects.

But as @CrimpOn says, that should work just fine.

My setup is a bit strange. The Orbi router (in AP mode) actually sits on a Powerline Ethernet network, and is some distance from the R7800s router. That is why I initially had the router's wifi on. I subsequently acquired an Orbi Voice satellite. That feeds of the Orbi base station, so I turned off the router's wifi. Orbi is certainly a better wifi solution than a cluster of extenders.

One reason for this layout is that I have a 16-port switch connected to my main router, and that feeds three Arlo base stations and a pile of NAS stuff. Then there is the ReadyShare stuff on the R7800's USB ports. The Orbi does not support USB storage, much to the frustration of some people.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7