Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use CBK40 as just a router?

bob_dylan
Aspirant

Can I use CBK40 as just a router?

TL;DR: Can I use the Orbi CBK40 as a router only? If so, are there some simple instructions to follow to do so?

I switched from cable to fiber recently. The fiber company installed a new modem and router, replacing my Orbi. I believe the model number is CBK40; the mesh plus cable modem. I at least know it's a combine router + modem, not one of the router-only models. Anyway, I've been unhappy with the Wi-Fi coverage in the house since the upgrade (in technician promised it would be fine, but I suspect that with the new locatino of the modem, it has to travel through a number of walls, including a wardrobe full of clothes and some kitchen cabinets, to get to the TV, which is where we notice the worst performance).  I was thinking I should replace the router with a mesh or get an extender; then I remembered I still have the Orbi, but also remembered that it was a modem as well...

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
bob_dylan
Aspirant

Re: Can I use CBK40 as just a router?

@gargalok I saw your post but looks like it's closed for replies; did you ever find an answer to the same question?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

I don't have that device to test with but some of the older modem/router combo devices you could turn into a sort of access point. Not a router because you have to disable dhcp. 

you can try that and see if it works. if no, you can usually find used rbr50/40's on ebay because people will buy the kits for the satellites and resell the router. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Can-I-use-a-C6300-cable-modem-without-cable-in...

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the CBR40 in a faux AP mode configuration. This works. As @plemans mentioned, it won't work in a router mode only configuration. You can change it to modem only mode and then connect up a external router of your choice. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7