Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can broadcast antenna be turned off for converted RBR40 (now RBS40)?

foreverag8r
Aspirant

Can broadcast antenna be turned off for converted RBR40 (now RBS40)?

BACKSTORY

I have a refurbished RBS40 that I purchased on ebay a few years ago, however the backhaul signal is/has always been poor unless I place it right next to the RBR40 router. I'm now using this "satellite" to go into a closet that is no more than 15 ft. from the RBR40 router as I cannot run cat5e/6 or 7 to the closet without tearing up walls. In that closet are the coax cables for cable TV that are no longer in use due to streaming. I discovered that I can leverage them to run Ethernet using a MoCA 2.5 adapter.  The approach has been successful, even though the wireless backhaul signal is poor the wired Ethernet connection is excellent on the remote end of the coax..  For grins I tried the native RBRW40 satellite in the closet to test the backhaul status and got great connection, it's just that it has no Ethernet ports.  The "satellite" (converted RBS40), because of the backhaul issue, degrades my connection and speed when used "wirelessly".  It is now daisy chaining to my other satellites and degrading my speed throughout the house.   If I can shut off the broadcast antenna, I'm good.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can broadcast antenna be turned off for converted RBR40 (now RBS40)?

First, there is no procedure that allows the user to turn off the WiFi radios.  That's the entire purpose of the product.  What could be done is open the case and cut the wires to the user facing antennas. (I have no idea what would happen.)

Is there a Coax port in the same room as the router?  The great thing about MoCA is that you can tap into it anywhere.

It is surprising to have a weak backhaul signal at 15 ft.  Can you try moving the satellite around in that closet?  Maybe there is an air conditioning duct or something hidden in the wall that is blocking the signal.  If the RBW30 (wall  mount?) got a good backhaul connection, then the RBS40 should as well.

Message 2 of 4
foreverag8r
Aspirant

To first point, you are correct about the product.  I effectively am trying to use it as a "reverse" AP.  Cutting wires probably a crap shoot.  I've ordered a converted RBR50 to replace this, hoping to have better results.  This one will be wired on the other end.

Point 2, that is the issue, no coax in room with router when they ran fiber to house, the previous owners did not select an optimal location, sigh!  He was an old AT&T bigwig and had phone wires everywhere.

Point 3, Yes the RBW30 is a wall mount and yes there is a duct (actually in ceiling not in wall between router and satellite), but the RBW30 proves that that is not an issue.  I had exchange with ebay person from whom I'm purchasing a converted RBS50 and he agrees with you, backhaul antenna issues seem strange.  As pointed out in point 1, I'll replace the RBS40 with the RBS50 and see if it's backhaul reception is better.  The RBS40 is fine if wired so that will be on the receiving end of the RBS50.

Thanks for getting back. May have to open the thing up and disconnect the wires.  Anywhere were there might be a schematic layout of the device?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I did  not find an FCC filing for the RBS40.  Here is a picture from the RBS50 filing:

CrimpOn_0-1675016581312.png

The user facing antennas are the two that are "vertical" with one slender end and one fatter end. The stubby antennas at the top are the backhaul antennas.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7