Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can my Orbi RBK50 connect to a switch that is connected to modem ?

dissdigg
Aspirant

Can my Orbi RBK50 connect to a switch that is connected to modem ?

Hello and thanks in advance.  The issue i am having is that my Orbi mesh rbk50 (router + satellite) for some unknown reason has connection interruptions that last only a brief second but it's enough to knock me out of all my work programs.  Streaming TV or music almost never skip a beat, but the work programs completely close out and then have to restart themselves.  

I have done a full reset and setup working with the netgear team.  I have ensured my DOS attack prevention is enabled.  At one point i was blaming the DOS attacks but now i'm not certain.  what is certain is that i get these "hiccups" and it's causing me a lot of issues at work.  

My thought was if i could connect a switch to my modem (optimum) i could wire my work computer direct and avoid any interuptions that are coming from the Orbi RBK50.  I would then use another port on the switch to connect my Orbi and do all the normal router and wifi stuff.  

Is this possible?   Does anyone else have experience or guidance on these interruptions?   I work and finance and my programs are all very sensitive... Bloomberg, a work VPM, etc.  But even basic webpages get held up when these hiccups happen.  Optimum ensures me it is not them, but is somethign with the router, my wires, etc.   I am at a loss....  

thank you kindly, JW

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
vajim
Master

Re: Can my Orbi RBK50 connect to a switch that is connected to modem ?

firmware version?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR should be connected directly to the modem. Any LAN switch should be connected after the RBR. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

If the modem has a built in router, Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@dissdigg wrote:

Hello and thanks in advance.  The issue i am having is that my Orbi mesh rbk50 (router + satellite) for some unknown reason has connection interruptions that last only a brief second but it's enough to knock me out of all my work programs.  Streaming TV or music almost never skip a beat, but the work programs completely close out and then have to restart themselves.  

I have done a full reset and setup working with the netgear team.  I have ensured my DOS attack prevention is enabled.  At one point i was blaming the DOS attacks but now i'm not certain.  what is certain is that i get these "hiccups" and it's causing me a lot of issues at work.  

My thought was if i could connect a switch to my modem (optimum) i could wire my work computer direct and avoid any interuptions that are coming from the Orbi RBK50.  I would then use another port on the switch to connect my Orbi and do all the normal router and wifi stuff.  

Is this possible?   Does anyone else have experience or guidance on these interruptions?   I work and finance and my programs are all very sensitive... Bloomberg, a work VPM, etc.  But even basic webpages get held up when these hiccups happen.  Optimum ensures me it is not them, but is somethign with the router, my wires, etc.   I am at a loss....  

thank you kindly, JW

Message 3 of 10
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 

firmware version?

waiting on the obvious

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@dissdigg wrote:

The answer to this question depends entirely on

• The specific model of ISP device (modem, fiber optical network terminator <ONT>).
    If it is a "plain modem" with no routing capability, then absolutely NO, connecting a switch to it and the Orbi and other devices to the switch cannot work.
    If it is a router, then "maybe", which depends on....
  • Your specific needs. Do you want to forward ports to internal servers?  VPN into the local network from outside? Connect this work computer to devices that are on the Orbi?  Connect devices on the Orbi to the work computer?  Share a printer between the work computer and devices on the Orbi? Play certain internet games?
    If all you want is to have devices use the internet (nothing like the above), then Yes. A switch can be connected to the ISP router.
    The work computer can be on one switch port and the Orbi on a different port.
Message 5 of 10
vajim
Master

i wonder why it's so hard to discuss the main cause of connection interruptions due to some unknown reason?

Message 6 of 10
dissdigg
Aspirant

Sorry for delay, and thanks all for responses. 

Hardware:  RBR50 (listed this wrong originally, apologies)
Firmware:  V2.7.2.104

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

@dissdigg wrote:

Sorry for delay, and thanks all for responses. 

Hardware:  RBR50 (listed this wrong originally, apologies)
Firmware:  V2.7.2.104

lots of discussion about Firmware:  V2.7.2.104

you may want to consider rolling it back

Message 8 of 10
dissdigg
Aspirant

kindly point me in the direction of the steps to roll it back?  at this point it can't hurt as my connections continue to get "interruptions".   thanks! 

Update:  I have optimum coming to install an UBEE modem/router combo that has an internal switch.  From here I hope the ability to hard wire work computer directly to modem will prevent the work computer from going offline during these hiccups.  My goal would then be to use my ORBI as the router and enjoy the speeds and great range.  if the technician at my house won't help with the ORBI side i'll be back to this forum for the great advice you all offer. 

If anyone has experience with using the UBEE (UBC1322 or similar) along with the Orbi RBR50 please send me your thoughts.  thanks!

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

@dissdigg wrote:

kindly point me in the direction of the steps to roll it back?  at this point it can't hurt as my connections continue to get "interruptions".   thanks! 

Update:  I have optimum coming to install an UBEE modem/router combo that has an internal switch.  From here I hope the ability to hard wire work computer directly to modem will prevent the work computer from going offline during these hiccups.  My goal would then be to use my ORBI as the router and enjoy the speeds and great range.  if the technician at my house won't help with the ORBI side i'll be back to this forum for the great advice you all offer. 

If anyone has experience with using the UBEE (UBC1322 or similar) along with the Orbi RBR50 please send me your thoughts.  thanks!

go to the download section above here, enter model number

this may help as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Cannot-downgrade-firmware/m-p/1836166

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7