Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't allow Guests to access network

RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Can't allow Guests to access network

There are times I would like to temporarily allow a guest access to my full network. But the check box for that is disabled.

This is on an #RBR50 with 2 #RBS50 satellites.

I vaguely recall there was some override for this but now I can't find it. TIA if you can refresh my memory.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Re: Can't allow Guests to access network

I remembered the hack. It is to edit the file /www/WLG_wireless_guest1.htm

and comment out the test for enable_ap_flag. This is bogus anyway, there's

no reason to disable this.

if(/* enable_ap_flag == 1 || */ fbwifi_enable == '1' || enable_extender_flag == '1')
setDisabled(true, form.allow_access);

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Is Armor (or Parental Controls) enabled on this system?

My RBR50 shows these options:

CrimpOn_0-1676942857766.png

Message 2 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

No, those aren't enabled. But the RBR50 is in Access Point mode and that seems to trigger the disabling of guest access.

I vaguely recall there was a way around this, either editing some HTML on the router or poking some value on the Debug page.

Message 3 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I remembered the hack. It is to edit the file /www/WLG_wireless_guest1.htm

and comment out the test for enable_ap_flag. This is bogus anyway, there's

no reason to disable this.

if(/* enable_ap_flag == 1 || */ fbwifi_enable == '1' || enable_extender_flag == '1')
setDisabled(true, form.allow_access);

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the option to allow/disallow Guest access to the primary network is grayed out is because in Access Mode there is no choice: Guest devices can communicate with everything on the network, and there is no way to stop them.

At least on the RBR50 product,  There is only one DHCP pool in one IP subnet.  All devices are assigned IPs from that pool, and it is a router task to allow/disallow communication.  When the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, data from all devices is passed up to the router that assigned IPs to them and that device has no idea:

• That some are 'wired' and some are WiFi.
  • That some are in primary and other in Guest WiFi.

There has been a lot of confusion in regard to Guest access and AP mode.

In later product lines, Guest devices typically are assigned IPs in different IP subnets by the Orbi router.  But AP mode makes this impossible because it is the upstream router that assigns IPs.

Can you give it a try?

Message 5 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

> I believe the option to allow/disallow Guest access to the primary network is grayed out is because in Access Mode there is no choice: Guest devices can communicate with everything on the network, and there is no way to stop them.

I see, thanks for pointing that out. It's OK because I only want to enable this occasionally and temporarily.

> Can you give it a try?

Give what a try?

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Log on to the Guest WiFi and see if you can access devices on the primary network, such as:

• ping some device (that responds to ping) and see if it responds.
  • print something to a printer that is on the primary WiFi network.
Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

(RANT....)  There are two common reasons to have a "Guest WiFi"

1. So that a WiFi password can be given to transient visitors, and then change at will without having to go around and reconfigure every WiFi device in the  house.   Have a part and tell everyone, "The WiFi password is GoFish."  When the last guest leaves, change the Guest WiFi password to "Big Dog".  Does not affect the primary network at all.
  2. To segregate transient devices from the primary network as a security measure.

Some people think that reason No. 2 is the only thing that really counts.  Guests should never be allowed to do any horrible things like:

• Print anything.
  • Stream a video to the Chromecast.
  • Play something from a Media Server.

I prefer, "Let the network manager decide how Guest devices are treated."

Message 8 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

Log on to the Guest WiFi and see if you can access devices on the primary network, such as:

• ping some device (that responds to ping) and see if it responds.
  • print something to a printer that is on the primary WiFi network.

Running Fing on my iPad while connected to my guest network reveals all my devices even when "allow guests to see" is disabled. That seems wrong.

I can ping devices only when "allow guests to see" is enabled. That seems right.

My RBR50 hangs when I update the Guest Network page with "Please wait a moment" forever until I manually refresh. That seems wrong. 😞

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

Running Fing on my iPad while connected to my guest network reveals all my devices even when "allow guests to see" is disabled. That seems wrong.
I can ping devices only when "allow guests to see" is enabled. That seems right.. 😞

I thought the discussion began because the Guest network option to Allow/Not Allow Guest devices to communicate with the primary network and with each other was grayed out and could not be changed?

Message 10 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

I thought the discussion began because the Guest network option to Allow/Not Allow Guest devices to communicate with the primary network and with each other was grayed out and could not be changed?

That's right. I was trying to remember a way to enable it in AP mode, knowing I had done it long ago. This time I wrote it down so I won't forget again. 🙂

I occasionally have workers here who need to get on my guest network and access devices on my main network. Temporarily enabling that is better than putting them on my main network.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7