Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't do firmware update

Lanis
Aspirant

Can't do firmware update

My Orbi is running firmware 2.0.1.4 (stable for 3 weeks) connected to an iMac, OS 10.13.4.  I read about firmware 2.1.3.4, so downloaded it for manual update.

I can log into my router, click on and work with all modules except when I click on Firmware Update; at that moment, the system goes into 'spinning wheel mode' forever.  I can click on other modules and move to those modules successfully, but I just can't get into Firmware Update.

Any suggestions about how to free up the router to let me get to firmware update would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't do firmware update

What browser are you using? Try Safari or FF browsers. Clear browser caches before and after trying to load the FW. Do no navigate to any other pages. Disable any PC security software temporarily.

Be sure that your wire connected with the Mac to the router.

Factory reset the router and set up from scratch if and when you get it loaded.

If your not having any problems, you might keep whats already loaded. You don't have to update.

Message 2 of 5
Lanis
Aspirant

I normally use Firefox, so you convinced me to try Chrome.  It let me in to the Firmware Update module without hesitation.  Now I have a different issue. 

I have a different Orbi system (RBR50 + 1 Satellite) in a different house.  That system gave me a message to update my firmware to 2.1.3.4, which I did successfully.  This system, now that I am in the Firmware Update module, does not show my the 2.1.3.4 update.

I wonder why one Orbi shows the update to me and the other system does not.

The next question would be:  would I be in trouble if I do the manual update on this system, even though it is not giving me the recommendation to do this update?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
loomis1975
Luminary

@Lanis wrote:

I normally use Firefox, so you convinced me to try Chrome.  It let me in to the Firmware Update module without hesitation.  Now I have a different issue. 

I have a different Orbi system (RBR50 + 1 Satellite) in a different house.  That system gave me a message to update my firmware to 2.1.3.4, which I did successfully.  This system, now that I am in the Firmware Update module, does not show my the 2.1.3.4 update.

The next question would be:  would I be in trouble if I do the manual update on this system, even though it is not giving me the recommendation to do this update?

The 2.1.3.4 was only pushed to auto update (what you saw in the firmware update module) for just a handful of days before Netgear pulled it.  Why they pulled it? Don't know why.  It IS a beta, which in my mind shouldn't be sent out for auto updating in any case.  So thats why you saw it on one system's firmware page and not the other.  You wouldn't be in trouble if you did the manual update, the 2.1.3.4 beta firmware is just as valid on your one setup as the other.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do a manual update if you have the files already. 

I recommend being wired with the router and satellite with a PC. 

@Lanis wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7