Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't duplicate orbi app speed test results

CJK440
Tutor

Can't duplicate orbi app speed test results

I have an AC3000 system with an RBR50 and 2x RBS50's. I recently upgraded my service from 500 to 1gb. My ISP modem is naturally connected to the RBR.

When I test using the orbi app, up and down results are very close to advertised (before and after upgrade) but I can't get anywhere close with laptop connected via ethernet to either the RBR ports or even the ISP router ethernet using multiple test sites including speedtest/ookla. In some cases, a test using the speedtest app on my phone shows better results than ethernet.

What's really puzzling me is the orbi app reports close to advertised but when I test connected to the modem directly, the results are dismal. If it was the Orbi choking the signal on its broadcast I would think the ISP modem would be reporting similar to the orbi app results.

Is the test in the orbi app designed to get a pie in the sky result and perhaps my laptop and phone are challenging the connection more? 

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't duplicate orbi app speed test results

1. what actual firmware is on the router? 

2. what ISP modem do you have? 

3. After the speed upgrade, did you try a factory reset/reinstall (not using a backup)?

4. this is more of an fyi, the wireless on that router won't max out a gigabit connection. the wired will. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7