Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) setup as access point

Stillstuck
Aspirant

Can't login to Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) setup as access point

I can't login to an Orbi that I've configured as an access point.

I have configured an Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) as an access point.

(Replaced a Netgear R6100 that I was using as an access point).

I have an AT&T 5268AC Modem / Router handling the DHCP.

The Orbi has an IP address of 192.168.1.71

Confirmed this IP address both in Router DHCP list, and with "Advanced IP Scanner". 

However, I can not login to the Orbi with this address (no response), nor can I successfully ping this address, (again, no response).

Possible Clue:

I've found the (1) wired IP address & associated MAC Address with IP scanner / DHCP

I've also found the (3) Wireless MAC Addresses with WiFi Analyser (2) 2.4 & (1) 5.0

However:   None of these are an exact match to the MAC address on the Orbi label

I've not found and IP address for the MAC address on the Orbi Label

(MAC Address on Label has different last two digets than found with IP Scanner)

What does work:

1.) Currently working as a wired and wireless access point

2.) Can access the Orbi with the Android App, if the android is connected thru the Orbi WiFi Access Point, (but not thru any other WiFi Access points on the network)

Android Orbi app shows device connections as: 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.9

Note: I never had problems accessing the Netgear R6100 in Access Point Mode, via it's IP Address.  Seems like the Orbi should work the same way.

Other than resetting the Orbi, and then starting from scratch, how can I get access to the Orbi. 

I'd like to change the passwords, and also update the firmware.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Based on what you describe, Orbi is actually running in router mode, not access point mode, with a WAN IP of 192.168.1.71. That's why you cannot access it at this IP. Access from the "WAN" IP is blocked by the firewall.

Connect to Orib's WiFi, and access the router GUI at 10.0.0.1.  Then try again to set it up in Access Point mode in the GUI under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode. You need to hit the Apply button for the Access Point mode setting to take effect.

The different MAC addresses you see are not a problem.

Also, you shouldn't have other access points on your network when using Orbi.  You should remove all other APs.  Orbi uses a lot of WiFI spectrum and doesn't provide the configurability necessary to coexist well with other APs on the same network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Based on what you describe, Orbi is actually running in router mode, not access point mode, with a WAN IP of 192.168.1.71. That's why you cannot access it at this IP. Access from the "WAN" IP is blocked by the firewall.

Connect to Orib's WiFi, and access the router GUI at 10.0.0.1.  Then try again to set it up in Access Point mode in the GUI under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode. You need to hit the Apply button for the Access Point mode setting to take effect.

The different MAC addresses you see are not a problem.

Also, you shouldn't have other access points on your network when using Orbi.  You should remove all other APs.  Orbi uses a lot of WiFI spectrum and doesn't provide the configurability necessary to coexist well with other APs on the same network.

Message 2 of 4
Stillstuck
Aspirant

That was it.

It was still in Router Mode, not Access Point.

I must have just exited the screen, instead of hitting apply.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Good.  Glad you got it working.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation