Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can two RBR50 routers function as Router and Satellite?

Corradizo
Aspirant

Can two RBR50 routers function as Router and Satellite?

Hi All,

I just picked up an Orbi RBR50 to see how i like it.  It's great!  I have it in AP mode with my Xfinity modem as the router and its working fine.  I'd like to take the next step and create a mesh network for my home and relegate my Xfinity modem to just being a modem.  While looking at the RBS50 AP's, they are much more expensive than the RBR50 router - more than twice the price!  If I bought another RBR50 could I use it along with my existing RBR50 as Router + Access Point? ie have one RBR50 in Router Mode and the other RBR50 in AP mode?  I have ethernet runs in my home so I can do wired or wireless backhaul, but ultimately would like to keep to one SSID across the house.  

Thanks,

Pete

Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: Can two RBR50 routers function as Router and Satellite?

Yes, I think you can use the second RBR50 as an AP wired (has to be wired) to the first RBR50 (Router) but you are not getting a mesh system here. The two RBR50's will work independently as a router and AP.

In the Router-Satellite setup the RBR50 Router is working as a controller for the Satellites to provide you with a mesh network.

Please note the following:

- You can use the same SSID on both but you have to select different radio channels on the two base stations.

- Roaming between the two base stations is much dependent on your devices, Don't expect to get seamless roamings with all devices.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR units do not support working as a statellite. Only as a main independent wifi router or in AP mode. 

@Corradizo wrote:

Hi All,

I just picked up an Orbi RBR50 to see how i like it.  It's great!  I have it in AP mode with my Xfinity modem as the router and its working fine.  I'd like to take the next step and create a mesh network for my home and relegate my Xfinity modem to just being a modem.  While looking at the RBS50 AP's, they are much more expensive than the RBR50 router - more than twice the price!  If I bought another RBR50 could I use it along with my existing RBR50 as Router + Access Point? ie have one RBR50 in Router Mode and the other RBR50 in AP mode?  I have ethernet runs in my home so I can do wired or wireless backhaul, but ultimately would like to keep to one SSID across the house.  

Thanks,

Pete

Message 3 of 6
Corradizo
Aspirant

I definitely want the advantages of the mesh configuration so I'm going to go ahead and pick up the RBS50 to go with my RBR50 router.

thanks!

Pete

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Remember 30 feet is recommended in between Router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

Enjoy. 

@Corradizo wrote:

I definitely want the advantages of the mesh configuration so I'm going to go ahead and pick up the RBS50 to go with my RBR50 router.

thanks!

Pete

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Corradizo wrote:

thanks!

Pete

Good choice! 🙂 Good luck..

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7