Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing Backhaul Channel (to Help with Wireless Speakers)

fade6
Aspirant

Changing Backhaul Channel (to Help with Wireless Speakers)

Hello all. I wanted to update an older post regarding using telnet to change the hidden channel backhaul. First, a little background:

My router/sats = RB40/RBS40

Orbi is used as a router (not AP)

Wired/ethernet connected from router to 2 RBS40 sats

Wireless connected from router to outdoor orbi (RBSY50)

Wireless sound bar with subwoofer and rear speakers that communicate to sound bar via upper band 5 GHz channels (~157)

The problem, as many on the internet have posted about - some here - is that the router backhaul is set in this range (mine was channel 157) and not configurable using the web interface. Leading to impossible to deal with interference since the router and speakers are close by (and tough to move around). So someone posted a telent configuration allowing the backhaul channel to be changed (see message 11): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Wireless-Backhaul-Channel/m-p/1802878

However, I found that the instructions for me didn't work and required a little tweaking. For some reason, "2nd hidden channel" pulled up my fronthaul 5 Ghz (which was 48 in my case). I fooled around a little bit and found that if you instead use the commands listed below, they in fact did pull up and allow me to change the hidden channel backhaul to 108 successfully. Not sure why this was the case for me, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows why. The key thing in all this for those who are not savvy with these kinds of things, like me, is to have a wifi analyzer on your phone to make sure you see all the channels being used by you and your neighbors. That is how I knew my backhaul was on channel 157. Anyways - just trying to help those who are in my situation with the wireless speakers.

• The following are the commands that worked for me:
    • To read the existing channel: config get wla_hidden_channel
    • To change the channel to e.g. channel 108: config set wla_hidden_channel=108 
Message 1 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Hey fade6 thank you I actually tried that from the telnet post before yours and I didn’t see any change. Really appreciate you taking the time to help the others having these frustrating issues! Any other thoughts on how I can get it to not interfere? Are you no longer having WiFi interference? Was was your issue before speaker cracking or poor WiFi connectivity. I have the connectivity issue.
Message 2 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Btw message 11 in that previous post shows your resolution. Wasn’t that the exact same thing?
Message 3 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

Yeah, same system you have HW-Q90R... popping noises... drops from the rear set.

Try what I posted one last time. My orbi backhaul has been on Channel 108 nice and steady for a week now. Speakers are working perfectly. As other posted - channel 108 is one of the radar channels, so if you live in an area that uses radar, the Orbi will kick it back to where it was... so cross your fingers. I hope it works for you!

Message 4 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

Same approach, but different config wording. When you do the "config get" command, what number does it tell you back? In my case "2nd hidden channel" was telling me 48. That is NOT the one you want to change. In my case "hidden channel" was 157. THAT is the one you want to change.

Message 5 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Ok so the command you listed shows my front haul channel of 48 (same as yours). You’re saying change this to 108? I’ll try it.
Message 6 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Hidden channel shows 48 so I set it to 108 like you mentioned. 2nd hidden channel was 157. I set that to 108 didn’t see any difference. 😔

We are having different issues though it seems. My issue is my WiFi connection anywhere near the soundbar is complete trash I’m use to getting 400mbps WiFi and I’ve had it as low as 40mbps lately I moved router and I’m getting 120mbps when I’m lucky but still when I unplug soundbar I get 400mbps. That’s just nuts!
Message 7 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

Ah, OK. Sorry to hear. Sounds like we have different issues like you said. When I changed the 157 to 108, that is what worked for me. Ugh. Sorry man.

Message 8 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

Sorry - one last question for you. Just to make sure.

When you changed the 157 to 108... and it wasn't working for you... did you then confirm that the backhaul was still on 108? Just wondering if Orbi is kicking you back to 157 (due to radar interference). Not that it helps you, but can provide further insight.

Message 9 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

No worries but thanks for trying to help bud hopefully someone else gets help from your solution though. On a good note for some reason when I changed my front haul channel (because that’s what get wla hidden channel gives you I believe), when I changed it to 108 it moved it to 64 using analyzer app I saw my front haul 5ghz on channel 64 didn’t even know that was possible. Anyway now I’m getting 600mbps on WiFi near router on phone before it was 420mbps max! Telnet still shows 108 though. I changed my 2nd channel from 157-108 and other variables and still no difference.
Message 10 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

Wow, interesting. Maybe I'll try that, ha ha ha - see if I get some extra speed.

Did that extra speed on 64 help at all when using your Q90R system? Or does it still lower you way down?

I find it very strange that you have a clear channel for the Q90R to communicate vs your Orbi - and yet there is clearly a relationship showing interference. I'm no physicist, but is it possible that when the Q90R is running, there are other waves (magnetic or otherwise) that interfere? And if so, maybe changing to 64 helped? I'm really curious about this now. Will look in every so often to see if anyone knows what is going on here.

Message 11 of 15
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

My Orbi speed seems faster now that I changed the backhaul channel however the WiFi is pretty much useless if the router is anywhere in the vicinity of the sound bar. It’s the strangest thing because once I unplug the soundbar or it goes into standby mode my internet is fast 300mbps+ With soundbar on I’m lucky to get 30mbps. Wish I could find a solution I really do. Thanks for all your help though.
Message 12 of 15
fade6
Aspirant

OK. Two questions: A) Does your sound system work cleanly with no drops... popping etc? So the symptoms are only on the Orbi/Wifi speed side of things? B) At what distance between router/soundbard does the speed pick back up to a good level (or maybe it never does)? And I presume that acceptable (speed wise) distance just isn't something you could live with?

Message 13 of 15
joshhugley
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues, when I tired to put the settings in I get 

/bin/ash: config: not found

Message 14 of 15
Mstrbig
Master

@ZeusyZeus wrote:
My Orbi speed seems faster now that I changed the backhaul channel however the WiFi is pretty much useless if the router is anywhere in the vicinity of the sound bar. It’s the strangest thing because once I unplug the soundbar or it goes into standby mode my internet is fast 300mbps+ With soundbar on I’m lucky to get 30mbps. Wish I could find a solution I really do. Thanks for all your help though.

Some soundbars, wireless phones, in my case 75inch TV, can reek havok. I had to move my Orbi unit to another location. Doing so fixed the degrading WIFI from that node.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7