× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing router from R6220 AC-1200 to Netgear Orbi RBK20

avinashtauro
Aspirant

Changing router from R6220 AC-1200 to Netgear Orbi RBK20

I have been using the R6220 AC-1200 router since about 3 years and it was perfect for my small apartment. I just moved to a larger apartment, and during the move something broke. Now the router keeps shutting down the Wifi signal, with the Wifi LED going off 5-10 times a day. I have to go press the Wifi button on the router. This turns on the wifi temporarily.

Another problem I have is range with my 200 Mbps internet. Around corners from my router, my internet speed goes down to 20-30 Mbps in two spots in the new home. I found out that router manages to penetrate single concrete walls ok, with minimal loss, but around corners it is bad.

Now I am wondering if I should get a regular router like the Netgear AZB01LFSDZCU 300 Mbps Router. Will this have better penetration through concrete walls.

Or should  I get the Netgear Orbi Mesh RBK20 (1 router + 1 satellite). It costs only a little more. The satellite will ensure good coverage at those low internet zones. 1 problem I could potentially have with the Orbi, is that I also need to put up the router on the wall. Are wall mounts for the Orbi available for purchase in India.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Changing router from R6220 AC-1200 to Netgear Orbi RBK20

@avinashtauro wrote:

Now I am wondering if I should get a regular router like the Netgear AZB01LFSDZCU 300 Mbps Router. Will this have better penetration through concrete walls.

Or should  I get the Netgear Orbi Mesh RBK20 (1 router + 1 satellite). It costs only a little more. The satellite will ensure good coverage at those low internet zones. 1 problem I could potentially have with the Orbi, is that I also need to put up the router on the wall. Are wall mounts for the Orbi available for purchase in India.

WiFi penetration through concrete wall is horrible (bad), either for user devices to reach an access point or for an Orbi satellite to connect with the Orbi router.  Clever placement of router and satellite might help avoid passing through concrete, but if placement cannot accomplish that, it might be time to explore installing ethernet cable to connect the satellite and router.  (Which concrete also makes very difficult.)  Concrete is strong and safe, but not cnvenient.

In the US Amazon sells wall mounts for Orbi units.  Does Amazon sell in India?  (horrible ignorance on my part.)

Message 2 of 4
avinashtauro
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply @CrimpOn. Yes amazon is the largest online store in India, but they do not have wall mounts for the Orbi. I found a couple on other sites, which source from China, but they cost USD 40-50 and delivery timelines are 20-30 days. I think thats too expensive for a plastic wall mount.

I am still considering the regular Netgear router AC2300 (AZB01LFSDZCU) which is running at a 50% flash sale today. So its cheaper than the Orbi which is permanently running at 50% sale 🙂 Costs about USD 115 for the regular router vs USD 170 for the Orbi mesh. Both are amazon india prices.

Considering I don't have any wifi dead spots and only two low speed spots, I think a powerful router like  the AC2300 would be better suited, as I could get a stronger signal through concrete. Even if I get about 50-60 Mbps at those spots from the current 20-30 Mbps on my existing Ac1200, I will be happy.

And the AC2300 has wall mounting support on the back.

Message 3 of 4
avinashtauro
Aspirant

I bought the Nighthawk AC2300 and it is perfect for my needs. The low signal spots as well as the dead spots have good signal now, and I can use the 200 Mbps from all corners of my house. Even with 2 concrete walls in between the router and the device, I barely see any loss.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7