Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromebook insists on connecting to the distant RBR20 satellite, not nearby router

maxplanar2
Guide

Chromebook insists on connecting to the distant RBR20 satellite, not nearby router

An Acer Chromebook in my household absolutely insists on connecting to the worst possible access point.   The RBR20 router is in the living room, and the satellite serves the deck and is three rooms away - walls, pots and pans, an endless amount of obstructions are in the way of the signal.   When we're in the living room, all other devices (phones, Mac laptops, streaming boxes etc) properly connect to the correct access point, the router itself.   But no matter how many times I reboot or powerwash the Chromebook, it insists on connecting to the satellite, which of course has a terrible signal.   How to fix?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Chromebook insists on connecting to the distant RBR20 satellite, not nearby router

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 4
maxplanar2
Guide

Re: Chromebook insists on connecting to the distant RBR20 satellite, not nearby router

One router, one satellite.

1200 sq ft. home.

35 ft distance between router and satellite, three walls and a bunch of stuff.

I'll try your suggestion of turning down the power.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7