Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuration Requirements

TheGodFather
Aspirant

Configuration Requirements

Hi,

I was looking to buy an Orbi for the in-laws. However, I want to make sure that it would work as expected.

I saw a forum (here in the Netgear community) that said all Satellites need to 'see' / be directly connected, to the base router.

The can baiscally be set up like:

Satellite

Satellite -> Router <- Satellite

Satelite

(all satelites must see router)

I read it as, you cannot go from Router -> Satellite --> (another) Satellite --> (another) Satellite

Is my understanding correct?

My next question is, can they be hardwired back to the primary router? So, they never need to 'speak' to each other via the wireless. Basically becoming a bunch of access points around the house, but hardwired back to the master router? If not, is this a feature coming down the pipeline via firmware?

The house is rather spacious, and aprox 6500 sq ft (really in a width format). There would be no way to cover the entire house, in a way for each Satelite to 'speak' to the router directly. However, using the existing data cables to connect them, I can accomplish this. 

To try to clarify a little more, I would need to do this to accomplish complete coverage (hardwired back to router):

Satellite (hardwired) - Satellite (hardwired) - Router - Satellite (hardwired) - Satellite (hardwired)

Otherwise, to cover the entire house, I would need to do what it does not support:

Satellite --> Satellite --> Router (center of home) <-- Satellite <-- Satellite (the house is wide like this)

Does that make sense, or do I need to clairfy. There is another 'mesh' product out there that allows for this, but not has highly performing (not Tri-Band specifically). 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Hydro130
Luminary

Re: Configuration Requirements

Your understanding of the router/satellite arrrangemnt is correct - each satellite talks to the router, not to another satellite.

For you second question, ethernet backhaul between router and satellite(s) is not currently an option.

Perhaps that will change someday, but I rather doubt it, since a dedicated (and very good!) wireless backhaul is Orbi's unique/standout feature, and it's what sets Orbi apart from any other wireless mesh-type system on the market today.

Cheers, Chris

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Hydro130
Luminary

Your understanding of the router/satellite arrrangemnt is correct - each satellite talks to the router, not to another satellite.

For you second question, ethernet backhaul between router and satellite(s) is not currently an option.

Perhaps that will change someday, but I rather doubt it, since a dedicated (and very good!) wireless backhaul is Orbi's unique/standout feature, and it's what sets Orbi apart from any other wireless mesh-type system on the market today.

Cheers, Chris

Message 2 of 6

@TheGodFather wrote:

My next question is, can they be hardwired back to the primary router? So, they never need to 'speak' to each other via the wireless. Basically becoming a bunch of access points around the house, but hardwired back to the master router? If not, is this a feature coming down the pipeline via firmware?

The house is rather spacious, and aprox 6500 sq ft (really in a width format). There would be no way to cover the entire house, in a way for each Satelite to 'speak' to the router directly. However, using the existing data cables to connect them, I can accomplish this. 

Does that make sense, or do I need to clairfy. There is another 'mesh' product out there that allows for this, but not has highly performing (not Tri-Band specifically). 

if you already have structured ethernet cabling you dont need the orbi all you need are a few well placed wireless access points connected to that ethernet backhaul

the whole concept of the orbi is to NOt use ethernet and for those that cant or dont want ethernet installed for many reasons

as suggested it has been asked for many times but i just dont think its a focus of the orbi dev team or the purpose of the orbi system

pete

Message 3 of 6
TheGodFather
Aspirant

Hi,

What I manage for them now is a combination of hardwired devices and well placed access points to other hardwired endpoints. However, consider that the well placed access points don't talk to each other. As such, they don't hand off to one another. So, unless there is a better way. My options are...

Manage them all seperately, A) make them all the same SSID and hope they place nice together and the device is good at self managing, B) make them different SSIDs, which usually plays nicer, but means I have to walk around a house and connect each device to each AP, which still means the device is self managing as it roams.

Realistically, this means I either over saturate the house with APs everywhere that don't really take each other AP into consideration, meaning handoff seems to be a problem, or I don't cover the house well enough, leaving dead spots, but it roams really well.

Maybe I am over thinking this process and there is an easier/simplier solution to make this work well, but this seems to be my challenge most of the time. They had an AP go bad, so I figured I would try to convert them to a better solution.

So, it would be a great feature to add. There doesn't seem to be a good quailty solution for this... well, unless of course I plan on spending a crap-ton of money for a Cisco solution, which of course, isn't feasible for a home. Even if they didn't add this feature, having the ability to talk over multiple Satellites would still help in this situation, although not perferable to me. I'd rather have the wired solution though, as there would be better performance over connecting to a single AP, that connects me back to wired, versus having mutiple wireless hops to make.

Message 4 of 6
TheGodFather
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.

It might be what makes it unique, but it also limits is use-case. 

Message 5 of 6

@TheGodFather wrote:

Hi,

What I manage for them now is a combination of hardwired devices and well placed access points to other hardwired endpoints. However, consider that the well placed access points don't talk to each other. As such, they don't hand off to one another. So, unless there is a better way. My options are...

Manage them all seperately, A) make them all the same SSID and hope they place nice together and the device is good at self managing, B) make them different SSIDs, which usually plays nicer, but means I have to walk around a house and connect each device to each AP, which still means the device is self managing as it roams.

even the orbi disconnects clients when roaming between router and sat's etc , the roaming is also still dependent on the client and how "sticky" it is

you would prob be far better in looking at an access point solution that works on the zero hanoff model that ubiquiti uses with their unifi series as an example

this way the clients never disconnect and roam between ap's without issue

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7