Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting new satellite to existing RBS50v2 router

toots45
Aspirant

Connecting new satellite to existing RBS50v2 router

Hi there - i need some help pls! I have prevsiously purchased and installed a RBS50v2 router with one satellite based on the ground floor. The satellite is located 50m away in an outbulding on the ground floor and is wired in on an ethernet cable. They work well. I then purchased a second router & satellite (really only needed the satellite but couldn't see any other option!) to improve the wifi on the top floor of the house (3rd floor). I have tried countless times to link this to the original router, but it always fails. Is there a way to make this happen or do i need to set up an entirely new system for the top floor?! Any help greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting new satellite to existing RBS50v2 router

what firmware is on the satellite and what version is on the router? 
Have you tried hardwiring the satellite in for initial setup? 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

My approach is to sync new satellites in the same room as the router (temporarily).  No huffing and puffing up and down the stairs to press sync buttons and look at light.  Once it has connected successfully, then I move it to the desired remote location.

The new satellite came pre-programmed to link with the new router.  Perhaps it would be helpful to do a Factory Reset on the new satellite before attempting to 'sync' it.

Message 3 of 5
toots45
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. The factory reset on the satellite seems to have done the job, but i'll await my kids gaming in the attic to really test it! 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7