Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupt RBS50 firmware

dinkoh
Aspirant

Corrupt RBS50 firmware

Couldn't help myself and updated my firmware, which made things worse.  Did a factory reset, and caused a mess.  Both my Orbi satelites are flashing white.  I can't add them back to the router or do anything with them.  I found some solutions from here which I tried, such as TFTP, but I'm having difficulty.  

The computer is directly connected to the satelite.  I changed my ethernet adaptor IPV4 settings to 192.168.1.10 and gateway to 192.168.1.1.  Enabled native Windows10 TFTP client.

Then via Windows PowerShell:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT .\ firmware file

Connect request failed

What am I doing wrong here?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Corrupt RBS50 firmware

@dinkoh wrote:

Couldn't help myself and updated my firmware, which made things worse.  Did a factory reset, and caused a mess.  Both my Orbi satelites are flashing white.  I can't add them back to the router or do anything with them.  I found some solutions from here which I tried, such as TFTP, but I'm having difficulty.  

The computer is directly connected to the satelite.  I changed my ethernet adaptor IPV4 settings to 192.168.1.10 and gateway to 192.168.1.1.  Enabled native Windows10 TFTP client.

Then via Windows PowerShell:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT .\ firmware file

Connect request failed

Are you trying to flash the firmware that is already on the satellites, or a different version?

I seem to remember that the satellites do not assume 192.168.1.1, but answer to 192.168.1.250.

I followed the instructions from these Netgear web sites:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

(Have no idea why there are two sets of instructions)

My memory is that the tftp process is frustrating.  "timing" is critical. Need to start the tftp just after the satellite boots up, but not too long after.  took me several tries.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7